8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 8th gen community. Didnt know where to post this. I have been giving thought to different oil choices. I have been very happy with amsoil synthetics for a good year now. Before that was Mobil 1 all the way. And once with Royal purple wasnt happy with that. My question is what are you guys using and what do you feel is best with the Si's 2.0 engine. I just bought more Amsoil cause it dont burn off like others gives me good protection and hasnt let me down yet. But I was also considering Motul & Torco. Do you guys think there is a benefit with using anything like Torco or Motul fluids. When it comes to engine protection I want the best stuff. On a side note, does anyone use fuel injector cleaners like amsoils PI or Lucas injector cleaner? Is there any ill side effects using this stuff on a car with not even 40k miles. I like to hear others insight on this thanks.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Im not a big fan of Fuel additives. If you use good high grade, name brand fuel and your engine is running in top shape, you will not really see any benefit from using a fuel injector cleaner.

I've taken apart older Honda motors, some with 150k+ miles which haven't been taken care off and the injectors were pretty clean.

The use of a fuel additive could also cause the fuel to burn differently, sometimes cause black smoke to come out the exhaust, this will make your spark plugs dirty as hell as well as contaminate your oil sooner (it will come out a dirty Brown color.

As far as oil, if you change it at a regular basis, i dont think you'll notice a difference using a more expensive oil. You're just paying higher prices for the name brand. Oil is oil.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not a big fan of Fuel additives. If you use good high grade, name brand fuel and your engine is running in top shape, you will not really see any benefit from using a fuel injector cleaner.

I've taken apart older Honda motors, some with 150k+ miles which haven't been taken care off and the injectors were pretty clean.

The use of a fuel additive could also cause the fuel to burn differently, sometimes cause black smoke to come out the exhaust, this will make your spark plugs dirty as hell as well as contaminate your oil sooner (it will come out a dirty Brown color.

As far as oil, if you change it at a regular basis, i dont think you'll notice a difference using a more expensive oil. You're just paying higher prices for the name brand. Oil is oil.

Thanks thats kinda what I thought about fuel additives. As far as oil amsoil has been running good for me. Very lil need to add oil doesnt burn off quick. Keeps engine quiet and smooth running. Royal purple burned off quickly and seemed like engine was noisier unless it was in my head. Thanks Also is it safe to run say a 0-30w oil or 5-20w oil opposed to 5-30 as recommended? Any difference in fuel mileage,oil consumption, performance in the weights? I have been sticking with 5-30w synthetics.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Im not a fan of changing oil weights. It might be "ok" to use it but increased engine wear might be a side affect.

for example: the use of 5w-20 will result in better gas mileage because the oil is thinner and therefor flows easier. yea side affect might be that in hotter engine temps, the thinner oil might not provide enough lubrication, esp in the higher revs.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True that thanks for the input. Im a maniac when it comes to protecting my engine and car so only look for the best.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Penzoil Platinum is what I have been running in my Si. There are two UOAs posted over on BITOG for Si's running 5w-30 Pen Platinum and they have looked VERY nice.

Just about anything will work fine, just change it when the OLM tells you to!

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, yeah i was wondering about penzoil platnium as well. Looked like a good choice seems like there are some good reveiws as well out there for it.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 with a Mobil 1 filter...Oil has been the same since the first change at 3000 miles and I change it now every 5000. Filter has varied from Fram to Bosch and now i'm trying the Mobil 1 filter

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Penzoil Platinum is what I have been running in my Si. There are two UOAs posted over on BITOG for Si's running 5w-30 Pen Platinum and they have looked VERY nice.

Just about anything will work fine, just change it when the OLM tells you to!
The OLM means nothing. It doesn't know anything about the oil in the car. If it did, it would reset itself to 100% when you put fresh oil in.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Yea it was just once and it was the most expensive one which doesn't have AS bad of reviews as the lower grade ones do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The OLM means nothing. It doesn't know anything about the oil in the car. If it did, it would reset itself to 100% when you put fresh oil in.
The OLM is conservative at worst with full syn oil. Mine goes to about 6,500 miles when calling for a change. Once of the UOA that the guy on BITOG was running in his Si was 10,000 miles and it looked great. I'm not worried about following the OLM.

The OLM is an algorithm written and designed by Honda engineers that takes oil temp, engine revs, idle time, and many other factors and is based on conventional oil. A modern conventional oil would have no problem running 6,500 miles in a modern engine. Changing your oil (especially syn) before the OLM tells you to is just wasting it. I feel like I'm wasting my syn oil when I change it when the OLM tells me to.

I can promise you that very few people will ever keep a car long enough to ever see an oil related engine failure. Just pick a good quality oil and change it when the car tells you to and you will be golden!

·
Registered
219 Posts
2008 Si, 13k miles. Have been using AMS Oil 0w-30 with green Honda oil filter since I've owned the car. I love AMSoil and will never use another oil brand again.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2008 Si, 13k miles. Have been using AMS Oil 0w-30 with green Honda oil filter since I've owned the car. I love AMSoil and will never use another oil brand again.
I hear you on this one. I been using amsoil for a good year now and i feel its way better than anything else i used. And as far as changing when the car tells me too cannot be done. I have a map tune hondata so now i go by mileage and looking at the oil. I always use amsoil absolute effeciency filter with my amsoil or hamp filter. The amsoil filter keeps my oil so clean its not funny. However i think they discontinued the filter for our cars for some reason cause i cant get it anymore. I just ordered the hamp filter with my amsoil.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
As stated above.

Mobil 1 5W-30.

Always Mobil filters.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love my ENEOS oil, its the newer name for Nippon. I use 5w-30 with a HAMP oil filter. I get it for about the same price as Mobil 1 with the filter so i say why not. It works great in my car, you should try it out.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
The OLM is conservative at worst with full syn oil. Mine goes to about 6,500 miles when calling for a change. Once of the UOA that the guy on BITOG was running in his Si was 10,000 miles and it looked great. I'm not worried about following the OLM.

The OLM is an algorithm written and designed by Honda engineers that takes oil temp, engine revs, idle time, and many other factors and is based on conventional oil. A modern conventional oil would have no problem running 6,500 miles in a modern engine. Changing your oil (especially syn) before the OLM tells you to is just wasting it. I feel like I'm wasting my syn oil when I change it when the OLM tells me to.

Honda's brand of oil is not a conventional, its a semi synthetic oil i believe. Hence the long-er intervals.

You dont want to push the oil down to 15% REAL oil life. You want to change it BEFORE it goes back, not when its already bad, your gas mileage went down the drain, and engine noise increased :facepalm:

I agree though that 90% of the people will not keep their cars long enough to really see a benefit from synthetic oil, or even more frequent oil changes.

I still dump my M1 EP oil after 3k miles simply because i drive my Si VERY hard on a daily basis, its mostly a weekend car now. Its set up for the track (time attack)

I have 60k on the clock now and want to get the most outta the engine before having to rebuilt.

I plan to do a K24 built and want the head, and any other parts clean as can be.

My Si is special.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear you on that. Our cars are rev happy high strung 4cyls. So to run the oil to the ground is not going to give you great protection. I run a good oil(synthetic) and change it out when it starts looking bad around 3-4000miles or 3months or so. I am neurotic by nature so i like clean oil at all times.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts