8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried finding some snow tires around here but with a heavy snow storm coming our way tomorrow, every place has jacked up the prices of their tires. The best deal I could get around here was $647 for a set of snow tires (still needed to pay to mount on new wheels plus mounting new wheels) and this wasn't even a big name set. So I'm just gonna go for some ultra high performance all seasons and hope they can deal with the snow we'll be getting. Of these three, which would you pick? Really what I'm looking for is something that performs well in the snow and wet/dry, good tread life and isn't terribly loud.. I'm not sure if it's the OEM tires on my car or what right now, but the road noise at 70mph is almost too much to carry on a conversation.

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S $136/tire

Eagle F1 All Season $130/tire

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS $155/tire

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I tried finding some snow tires around here but with a heavy snow storm coming our way tomorrow, every place has jacked up the prices of their tires. The best deal I could get around here was $647 for a set of snow tires (still needed to pay to mount on new wheels plus mounting new wheels) and this wasn't even a big name set. So I'm just gonna go for some ultra high performance all seasons and hope they can deal with the snow we'll be getting. Of these three, which would you pick? Really what I'm looking for is something that performs well in the snow and wet/dry, good tread life and isn't terribly loud.. I'm not sure if it's the OEM tires on my car or what right now, but the road noise at 70mph is almost too much to carry on a conversation.

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S $136/tire

Eagle F1 All Season $130/tire

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS $155/tire

Thanks for any help!
Bro, I got the Eagle F1 UHP A/S tires. I had the first set in Minnesota. I bought them when they first came out in early July. Tom aka ThePiper, got them for me at his Discount Tire facility. He has gotten a number of other guys hooked up with this tire as well. Why don't you e-mail him? Here is my thread on the subject: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47651

BTW, in a Motor Trend test, the Goodyears slightly outperformed the Bridgestones. I have been a Bridgestone guy for years, but I must admit that I love my Goodyears. http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0705_goodyear_eagle_f1_all_season/

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I'll go with those :thumb:

I just hate working with the Discount Tire near me.. they always seem surprised when I tell them I have an Si sedan. It's like no one can beleive they make it in a sedan now.. and there prices were outrageous when I called. Guess I'll see if they will match the price of tirerack.. I would email 'The piper' but I don't wanna drive to eden prarie to get some tires :p I just drove out to get some gas a few minutes ago and slid into the oncoming traffic lane making a small turn. Scary stuff..

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'll go with those :thumb:

I just hate working with the Discount Tire near me.. they always seem surprised when I tell them I have an Si sedan. It's like no one can beleive they make it in a sedan now.. and there prices were outrageous when I called. Guess I'll see if they will match the price of tirerack.. I would email 'The piper' but I don't wanna drive to eden prarie to get some tires :p I just drove out to get some gas a few minutes ago and slid into the oncoming traffic lane making a small turn. Scary stuff..
As an alternative, go to TireRack and order them. They were $124 a tire not too long ago. Have them mounted by a shop in your area. TireRack even provides a list of shops who will install for them. Something to consider.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Man discount tire hooked me up. I got 4 Falken 512's for $314. Personally they are awesome for traction, seriously comparable to the stock summer tires. The tread wear is ok so far, only had em for 4k miles or so. I'm prob gonna go steelies and winter tires in a month tho. I have my doubts on ultra high performance all seasons for snow but i'm gonna test out the 1st snow storm to make sure.

Here's a good site to check out tire reviews:
http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, how much did you wind up paying for the wheels (wheels + mounting) in total? I feel like I just got butt-plugged buying these... but my parents insisted I buy from a local shop instead of online

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Bill, how much did you wind up paying for the wheels (wheels + mounting) in total? I feel like I just got butt-plugged buying these... but my parents insisted I buy from a local shop instead of online
Tom charged me the same as I would have paid by ordering them from TireRack plus the shipping. Tom couldn't quite match the price of TireRack, but he made up for it by not charging for the mounting and balancing. In the end, it was a wash. I believe I paid about $600 total for all four tires.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright good good, I paid about the same then but I also paid for the mounting. Now I don't feel quite so violated.. it DID piss me off though, as I was waiting for my ride to come get me, I heard another salesman saying "..now I can take a little bit off that price for you..." when I spent over $600 on tires and didn't get so much as $5 off. Oh well, I'm sure the tires will be great.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Alright good good, I paid about the same then but I also paid for the mounting. Now I don't feel quite so violated.. it DID piss me off though, as I was waiting for my ride to come get me, I heard another salesman saying "..now I can take a little bit off that price for you..." when I spent over $600 on tires and didn't get so much as $5 off. Oh well, I'm sure the tires will be great.
Well, you should to try out their performance in the snow tomorrow, what with the storm that is coming. Let us know how they perform. I haven't had mine in the snow yet. :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ Definitely plan on taking it out after the storm tomorrow. In the stockers this morning I barely got out of my driveway and that's with practically no snow on the ground, so I should have some good comparisons. Also a PM coming your way Bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts