8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mods I have; Flashpro, catbak Invidia Q300 70mm and currently making custom T1R/Mugen intake with the M&M duct...

So I need advice about choosing the best race header (SSR, S2, ASP,...) to go with an HFC, while I don't want the vibrant/hfc and have to modify the catback!

I had read alot but not find the infos that I need...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm interested in getting the Go-Pwr 575 header in the future. Not sure how well it'll play together so :shrug:

I contemplated about getting the Vibrant w/HFC but I heard from another member that he had problems during installation. I think it was Si-Ya.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm interested in getting the Go-Pwr 575 header in the future. Not sure how well it'll play together so :shrug:

I contemplated about getting the Vibrant w/HFC but I heard from another member that he had problems during installation. I think it was Si-Ya.

Let me know if you make a choice for your header...

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Why not pair the exhaust with the Invidia header?

It is not as expensive as the ones you listed, but I am sure they will be great together.

A HFC is a bad choice IMO, they are not smog legal (almost everywhere but check your local emissions laws), and they restrict power. Either Do it right and get a fully compliant cat, or dont use a cat at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not pair the exhaust with the Invidia header?

It is not as expensive as the ones you listed, but I am sure they will be great together.

A HFC is a bad choice IMO, they are not smog legal (almost everywhere but check your local emissions laws), and they restrict power. Either Do it right and get a fully compliant cat, or dont use a cat at all.

Does universal cat from RT are fully compliant?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'm actually thinking of getting the same exhaust. I like the features..

If you want a fighting chance at passing emissions I would reccomend getting a header that ends before where the OEM Cat ends so you are looking at SSR, KiddRacing, T1R (collectors are ugly) or cutting up a header that's last collector is 8 or more inches from the flange that connects to the CAT back. Invidia could be cut off right before the flex pipe area and have a CAT added.

why get that CAT upstream? b/c CATs need heat to Catalyze. The Further you get away from the heat, the less they clean and the more apt they actually are to getting clogged.

I'm also looking at getting a header and running a CAT for at least "Visual" compliance. The Main headers I'm looking at are Vibrant w/cat, Kidd/SSR, Invidia.

My take on those
Vibrant - quality pc but Flex pipe may develope long term problems. Probably wont pass Emissions unless you have a really good tune. If you fail, you have plenty of room to cut off the flex pipe & CAT and weld in a obdII HFC and give her a go again.

Kidd/SSR - If you gonna go with a bolt in test pipe or CAT setup, I'd get the Kidd/SSR setup. CAT will be kinda far back but it will be there.. .

Invidia - Priced well and can be cut up in the right area for a CAT to be added.

Tough decisions on CAT route if you don't want a Shorty header.. .

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

Excellent memory!

They mated very very difficultly in my experience.

I like the sound and the power of the combo, but for fitment I think the Invidia RH would be a good safe bet, and it's got a 70mm collector too, so really not too shabby. Also, probably on the low end of the price scale.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Excellent memory!

They mated very very difficultly in my experience.

I like the sound and the power of the combo, but for fitment I think the Invidia RH would be a good safe bet, and it's got a 70mm collector too, so really not too shabby. Also, probably on the low end of the price scale.
haha thanks

Can't go wrong with pairing Invidia Q300 with the RH...oh well, I still have a lot of time between now and when I have funds to purchase to decide :haybunny:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actually thinking of getting the same exhaust. I like the features..

If you want a fighting chance at passing emissions I would reccomend getting a header that ends before where the OEM Cat ends so you are looking at SSR, KiddRacing, T1R (collectors are ugly) or cutting up a header that's last collector is 8 or more inches from the flange that connects to the CAT back. Invidia could be cut off right before the flex pipe area and have a CAT added.

why get that CAT upstream? b/c CATs need heat to Catalyze. The Further you get away from the heat, the less they clean and the more apt they actually are to getting clogged.

I'm also looking at getting a header and running a CAT for at least "Visual" compliance. The Main headers I'm looking at are Vibrant w/cat, Kidd/SSR, Invidia.

My take on those
Vibrant - quality pc but Flex pipe may develope long term problems. Probably wont pass Emissions unless you have a really good tune. If you fail, you have plenty of room to cut off the flex pipe & CAT and weld in a obdII HFC and give her a go again.

Kidd/SSR - If you gonna go with a bolt in test pipe or CAT setup, I'd get the Kidd/SSR setup. CAT will be kinda far back but it will be there.. .

Invidia - Priced well and can be cut up in the right area for a CAT to be added.

Tough decisions on CAT route if you don't want a Shorty header.. .

Thanks a lot for your advices!

Yeah its pricey but I prefer the SSR option because of the power its provide IMO...but I'm not ready to make a move, I'm just doing my lessons to make sure of my future choice.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well i'd make certain that dynos prove some significant gains from the ssr over like a kiddracing, cuz look at the price per hp and that is some spendy stuff.

I could buy a vibrant and cams for the price of an ssr.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well i'd make certain that dynos prove some significant gains from the ssr over like a kiddracing, cuz look at the price per hp and that is some spendy stuff.

Amen. I know how much it costs to make such headers as well.. . I've built custom turbo manifolds for a V6 and piping and the cost for materials per setup for around 30 sets was around $300 and that's around 2x as many bends. When you order SS piping manderal bent from a producer, the more bends you want, the price shoots up much faster as suppose to ordering straight tubing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I understand your point of view, but for our Si, the header is the mods which creates the most HP, so why put a cheap one that you'll regret...

For me, the IPS K2 will not be the next step, so I want the best for my car, not just bling stuff, but quality at all...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
My only point was outcome vs input. Make certain the ssr is really going to give you a big power gain over your other choices, because for the money it'd better. That's why i'm also a fan of lightly used parts personally.

5 horsepower can be gained and lost on a hot day, or from a backpack and a box, spending the spare dough on tuning would probably get you the best bang for the buck if you don't want cams, and the knowledge that your car is running safe and optimally. Just make sure you're getting your money's worth on whatever header you get, spend too little or too much and you're likely to have regrets.

It's your car and your money, but that was my input.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
There a few catagories I consider with parts, any part really. I'm a 29 year old Engineer By the way.

1.) cheaply built meaning low dollar materials, weak materials and bad design. This is a don't buy at all situation.
2.) cheap cost and functionally sound as in it will do it's job and take normal wear and tear but may not perform the best performance wise
3.) Regardless of price, Functionally sound product with a design that will reap benefits and take normal wear - i think the Kidd Racing header fits here.
4.) Name brand and is crap. (DC race header)
5.) Name brand appeal but middle of the road in every department so it's good to go.
6.) high quality at a good price. (Koni, enkie rims, maybe Invidia header)
7.) high dollar, Best Materials, high build quality, great design, well tested and proven. you pay for what you get. (Volk, Toda, Moton) Some small private companies like SSR and hytech may fit here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice, the S2K hfc seems to be perfect, just cut and weld the flanges...

The next step is not so far that I've expected!

The only question will be: SSR or KR??

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts