8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Which Amsoil would you use?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TexasK20Z 
#1 · (Edited)
Amsoil list these three oils for the Si

SSO Signature Series 0W-30 $9.95 Up to 35,000 (17,500 severe) miles or one year

ASL 5W-30 $7.40 Up to 25,000 (15,000 severe) miles or one year

XLF - XL 5W-30 $6.05 7,500-mile/6-month

I drive over 2000 mostly highway (some city, some rush hour stop/go) miles each month, or 24K-26K miles per year, though I am not sure if I'll be comfortable changing oil at more than 15K miles or six months intervals.

also, I am in SoCal, so I am not sure I need the 0W oil, given it rarely goes down below 40F

so it seems that the ASL would be a good choice given the cheaper price.

is the SSO really worth the extra cost?

i.e. does the SSO gives more protection? more power? better mileage? or just longer change interval?

what do you use? why?

how often would you change Amsoil?

See less See more
#2 ·
AMSOIL 0W30...especially if you plan on keeping it a long long time...like I plan...I've used this weight on everything from my 93 Bronco to my 04 R32 and currently in my 06 Si and the wife's 06 Passat 3.6L 4Motion. One of the best oils out there...If you do use it, make sure you use AMSOIL extend life oil filter with it. I still change mine every 7500 - 8000 miles though or just about every 6 months. That's about $100 a year or 2 oil changes for me...worth it in my opinion...Since you drive 2000 miles a month, you could thearetically change it twice a year or every 12,000 miles as well...just make sure you check your oil regularly..I've never had a low reading checking my oil but I know it seems a lot of Sis out there seem to use oil.

#3 ·
The ASL is what I use.

See if there is a Amsoil distribution center near you... if there is, buy a temporary "dealer" license then buy a couple of years worth of oil... you will save $$$. You could also hook up with a few buddies and split the costs of the membership.

I like near a DC and the ASL runs me ~$5.25 a quart...

#5 ·
avicarmi said:
, though I am not sure if I'll be comfortable changing oil at more than 15K miles or six months intervals.

how often would you change Amsoil?

Why not follow what the Honda engineers designed with the maintance minder? It will tell you when its best to change the oil.

Any of the Amsoil oil prodcuts will be more than good enough to go beyond what the MM tells you. IMO buy the SSO and follow the MM. You can save some cash by buying in bulk (gallon or more).

Mobil1 at walmart is like 20.00 per gallon and is the most cost effective oil. I prefer to go that extra bit and buy high end oils, since I plan on keeping my car for a long time and when I do sell it - I private sale my cars and will market my car as being well taken care of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.