8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called up all the hardware and arts & crafts stores in my area and the highest they have is 400. Where the heck do i get 1000 grit?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
If you're color sanding your car I would go with 2000. You can buy them at autobody supply stores, possbly Pepboys or Autozone. Go to superpages.com or something to find one nearby.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're color sanding your car I would go with 2000. You can buy them at autobody supply stores, possbly Pepboys or Autozone. Go to superpages.com or something to find one nearby.
Yeah i need to touch up some chips and i'll need the sandpaper to level the touch up paint. I read some DIY online and they all had different grits. From 600 to 1000 to 1200.

Would those auto stores have them in a kit? I'd rather buy the sandpaper seperatly.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Yeah i need to touch up some chips and i'll need the sandpaper to level the touch up paint. I read some DIY online and they all had different grits. From 600 to 1000 to 1200.

Would those auto stores have them in a kit? I'd rather buy the sandpaper seperatly.
Depends on the place. Some will only sell in bulk thats why they are autobody supply stores, some will sell you individual sheets. Can't answer that question because there are so many shops out there. 600 grit is too rough if you are retaining the stock paint. I use 800 for complete repaints. 1000 is okay for buffing but 2000 will give the smoothest glass looking surface.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on the place. Some will only sell in bulk thats why they are autobody supply stores, some will sell you individual sheets. Can't answer that question because there are so many shops out there. 600 grit is too rough if you are retaining the stock paint. I use 800 for complete repaints. 1000 is okay for buffing but 2000 will give the smoothest glass looking surface.
Which grit should i use to level the touch up paint with the stock paint. The touch up paint is higher. Could i use scratch-X instead of the 2000 grit?

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
1000 grit sandpaper marks would be hella hard to get out. I would start with 1000 and finish with 2000.

Also, I got both of those papers (wet sanding paper) at autozone.

And scratch-x won't replace the effectiveness of sandpaper. It'll just help smooth out the marks afterwards, although it will definitely not get out wetsanding marks.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
^ What he said...
I wouldn't do it without running water at all.

Oh its for touchup, 1000 is fine if you have the right buffing compound. 600-800 will be tough to buff out if you sand the surrounding clearcoat. Dunno about the X stuff, I do it the pro way.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ What he said...
I wouldn't do it without running water at all.

Oh its for touchup, 1000 is fine if you have the right buffing compound. 600-800 will be tough to buff out if you sand the surrounding clearcoat. Dunno about the X stuff, I do it the pro way.
Okay so this is how ill do it. Start with 1000 to lower the touch up paint, then 2000 to get rid of the 1000 marks and make it shiney. All while running water on it.

Is that good?

propped both of you

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
After you're done sanding, it will be all hazed up. You still need to do some buffing, "finese" (3M), then polish, swirl remover maybe, then polish some more, wax to protect.

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this guide on Autopia.org. The guy recommends 2000 and 3000 grit to sand so even if you mess up a little, it won't take off that much clearcoat from the factory paint and it'll be easier to clean up.

A small "how-to" on chip repair/wetsanding + spring cleaning (black G35) (56k = owie) - Autopia Car Detailing Forum

I've got to do some touch ups too, but I park outside and it's a bit cold to do a touch up.
Thanks for the link man.

I live in MA and its been 50-60 degrees here for the past couple days. It should be a little warm in NY too

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Okay so this is how ill do it. Start with 1000 to lower the touch up paint, then 2000 to get rid of the 1000 marks and make it shiney. All while running water on it.

Is that good?

propped both of you
Yes, I'd finish with 2000, maybe even higher if you can find it.

After that, your finish is going to look very dull/hazy, so like 24boosted said, you're going to need some kind of polishing compound. If you have a random orbital buffer, use #83 with the 8009 pad, but it'll really take a rotary to get out wetsanding marks completely.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
3M makes a pack that has 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. I bought it at the local automotive store and just returned it today since I didn't need it.

You will want a small block of wood or something to back that sandpaper. Also, no pressure.

You will want to take a look at the scratch fix tutorial pinned at the top of this section or the inside and out section.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
3M makes a pack that has 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. I bought it at the local automotive store and just returned it today since I didn't need it.

You will want a small block of wood or something to back that sandpaper. Also, no pressure.

You will want to take a look at the scratch fix tutorial pinned at the top of this section or the inside and out section.
Thanks man

Yeah i saw that tutorial. Thats the one with the orange car and he used 600 grit to get rid of the burrs of the scratch and then he used 1000 to finish... or something

btw... how much was that 3M sandpaper pack?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks man

Yeah i saw that tutorial. Thats the one with the orange car and he used 600 grit to get rid of the burrs of the scratch and then he used 1000 to finish... or something

btw... how much was that 3M sandpaper pack?
No Problem.

600 looks to be a bit extreme. 1000 grit or finer. Definately going to wanna keep some Scratch X handy. Maybe some turtle wax polishing compound. In case the scratch x isn't strong enough. And the scratches too deep.

The sandpaper pack was about $3.50. Each sheet was about 3x10 inches or so. Turtle wax polishing compound is also about $3.50. Around $7-8 for the Scratch X.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts