8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
Wouldnt registering the car be a mission and a half? I'd really love to get a DC2R or DC5R over here, but figured registration and legalities would be too big of a pain.

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
I've seen a few legitimate foreign cars (not conversions) imported into the US and daily driven legally, an S13, a few DC2's, an Evo, and some others. It is possible.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
it's not even allowed to be registered and be driven in the public streets..
I've seen a few legitimate foreign cars (not conversions) imported into the US and daily driven legally, an S13, a few DC2's, an Evo, and some others. It is possible.
JDM High Performance Cars

"Importing used JDM High Performance Vehicles (and other used vehicles) into the USA is difficult, but not impossible.

Any vehicles being imported to the USA needs to have been certified to comply with US safety and environmental standards, i.e. they need to have a DOT and an EPA mark.

Unfortunately almost all vehicles sold outside the USA do not have such marks.

They can however nevertheless be imported with the help of a Registered Importer, who can bring them into compliance with US regulations.

You can find a comprehensive list of Registered Importers following this web address: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/web_complete_RI_list5108.pdf

Going through an RI can be very expensive though."

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thats wierd a guy brought a smart car from europe back in 2005 before any smart car got into the US, and i always saw him driving it on the street? whats the difference with the Type R?
i'm not sure what the exact rulings are, but i do know that before a car can be imported from japan into north america, it has to be at least 15 years old.

that being said, only year 1995+ cars can be brought here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts