8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read it's good to rev the engine up then let it decelerate on it's own without using the breaks. so how is this done with the stick? if i'm in 3rd and i rev it up and take my foot off the gas and let the revs fall it's gonna stall isn't it?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
not if you are going fast enough. just let the rpm's go down to like 2000 and then change gears.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If I read every thread on this forum and took it word for word, I would either be to paranoid to enjoy my car or I'd be beating the ever-living piss out of it.

Just go easy on the car for the first few hundred miles you own it. A little common sense go's a LONG way.... :coffee:

BTW, I read on another forum that for the first 500 miles you should only drive with bare feet. Something about the clutch not liking shoes. OMGZ!11! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!?!?!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
hatr3d said:
If I read every thread on this forum and took it word for word, I would either be to paranoid to enjoy my car or I'd be beating the ever-living piss out of it.

Just go easy on the car for the first few hundred miles you own it. A little common sense go's a LONG way.... :coffee:

BTW, I read on another forum that for the first 500 miles you should only drive with bare feet. Something about the clutch not liking shoes. OMGZ!11! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!?!?!
OMG be careful when putting the keys in, you may SCRATCH the area around the ignition.

anyways, put the clutch in by 1.5k rpm and it won't stall

·
Registered
361 Posts
07mugencivic said:
how fast are you going????

I usually kick my shoes off when I hit 90MPH.

My wind diffuser broke off, so now I steer with my knees and hold my finger tips out the sunroof to compensate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So first this guy wants to know how to get over speed bumps. Now he wants to know how to coast while in gear. Seriously. Go take a driving class or just go drive a junk beater with a manual trans. Nothing you read here is going to compensate for driving time.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
be nice. maybe he just needs some expert advise. id rather him ask questions than f up his new car. if you dont want to hear what he has to say dont open the thread or if by an accident you do leave. no one is making you read his posts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
GlxyGry06Si said:
be nice. maybe he just needs some expert advise. id rather him ask questions than f up his new car. if you dont want to hear what he has to say dont open the thread or if by an accident you do leave. no one is making you read his posts.
:yeahthat:

Better safe than sorry lol. As long as the RPM needle is above 1k while moving your car wont stall.

If you want to break in your engine using the above method do it when u're going to a stop sign or red light and just stay in 3rd gear (or whatever gear you're in) and do some engine breaking to slowly stop.

Or just get in 1st or 2nd gear and rev the gas up and let it go watch how fast the car stops when it's in a low gear.

You'll know when your car is about to stall if you're in a gear and moving, and your car tug & pull and act like it's about to choke, that's when u need to apply the clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Meanwhile... I have almost 400 miles on mine and I accidentally bounced the rev limiter twice today. Oops. :vtec:
I guess I should pay better attention to the "shift please" light.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Breaking in the motor, you want to vary the RPMs and like you said, do not use the brake, let the motor do the work. Hard acceleration followed by engine decel. Rinse lather repeat, then change oil .

·
Registered
349 Posts
nayilsi said:
is skipping gears bad for the car ????

like im carrying 50 @ 3rd
i skip 4th and move to 5th .

Is that bad ?
It's more wear, but if you rev match you should be ok. Just hold clutch in a bit longer.

Or double clutch if you're extra worried, but I think that's overkill:biggrin:

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
bangmonsta said:
It's more wear, but if you rev match you should be ok. Just hold clutch in a bit longer.

Or double clutch if you're extra worried, but I think that's overkill:biggrin:

i thought rev match was for dn shifts

·
Registered
264 Posts
While I was at honda having them look up the infamous 3rd gear problem and not finding anything, he came across some bulletin on their servers saying that skipping gears is "brutal" (and I quote) to the transmission. I think I remember that thing saying it was because the Si has really close gears or something.

Anyways, I used to skip rather frequently and have stopped altogether since then. It was one of those announcements on their servers kind of like the announcement of their new MTF helping 3rd gear.

Maybe double clutching would stop whatever is so bad... I have no idea. I still don't even fully understand what double clutching does.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts