8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do your revs ever get held at a high rpm? sometimes i'll take it to redline and then let the engine slow itself down from there. is it bad for it to be at those high rpms without shifting to the next gear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run in the Atlanta Region and the general feeling around here is that you should never have to lift on our courses. I normally hit 2nd gear shortly after leaving the starting line and stay there for the entire course. I have hit the rev limiter only once in low and never in second. The only drawback is that sometimes I hit VTEC just as I'm entering a corner (that gets real exciting real fast!). If you are running at redline constantly it is an indication that you need to shift up a gear and let the engine's torque pull you off the corners (plus shifting at red line in the Si drops you back at peak horsepower in the next gear). Left foot braking also helps.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just wondering if i'm hurting my engine at all by letting it rev to redline then fall back on it's own. cause up that high it doesn't fall right away, and as you know, it's loud! never hit limiter btw, this is just up to redline

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Well its never good for to hold revs that high but to stay in the power band you may have to. Most of the guys shift into 2nd and stay there the whole time. It wont really mess up your engine too much since runs usually run for a minute

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i mean i don't really hold them up there, i let them drop naturally, but they're still up there for a few seconds. this is only in first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts