8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should you reset ecu after adding mods? ive looked through the mechanical/techincal chat and dont see any answers to this. just curious if i should have reset it after installing SRI. can anyone give me some help? thanks

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
A rule of thumb I run with is it involves any typ of air flow (i.e intake and exhaust), reset the ecu. That way your car can get used to the ideal of the new found flow and it can adjust to it. Other wise, you may be in a loop and not get the full effect from the mod. Also, the ecu it self will retard the timimng or injection because it's still reading for stock parts.

·
Banned
624 Posts
A rule of thumb I run with is it involves any typ of air flow (i.e intake and exhaust), reset the ecu. That way your car can get used to the ideal of the new found flow and it can adjust to it. Other wise, you may be in a loop and not get the full effect from the mod. Also, the ecu it self will retard the timimng or injection because it's still reading for stock parts.
How do you reset the ECU? Does unplugging replugging the battery work?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
How do you reset the ECU? Does unplugging replugging the battery work?

Yeah. Unplug the battery and wait about 20 minutes. Usually, I unplug before I start the installation. After that, turn the car on and run it for 10 minutes. DON'T REV or anything. Just let it run. Shut off and waht for 5 minutes. Then go for a spin to make sure everything is in order and you don't pop any CEL. If you do have a cell, run it to auto zone or advanced and have them run a diagnostic for free. That is if you don't have a scanner tool yourself.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Yeah. Unplug the battery and wait about 20 minutes. Usually, I unplug before I start the installation. After that, turn the car on and run it for 10 minutes. DON'T REV or anything. Just let it run. Shut off and waht for 5 minutes. Then go for a spin to make sure everything is in order and you don't pop any CEL. If you do have a cell, run it to auto zone or advanced and have them run a diagnostic for free. That is if you don't have a scanner tool yourself.
Hmm...well when i put my CAI in my battery was unplugged for a while. I didn't idle it though. Do you think it reset? I didn't get a CEL light after my installation either. I heard some people were having trouble with the CEL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.