8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I keep installing new pieces on my car, as most of us do. Can anyone tell me when you want to reset the ECU by unplugging the battery? What's the point? How much does it affect the cars performance once it has been reset? I see people say "just reset the ECU" if a problem pops up, but I can't see this helping too much. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
564 Posts
A time not to do it would be when your car pops a CEL. Too many people say to just reset the ECU when that most likely will not solve your problem. Even if it might fix it, it's not worth the risk of something seriously wrong with your car popping a CEL and you doing nothing about it because you just reset your ECU. Just get it checked at a parts store and solve it from there.

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
ita not going far at all. i wouldnt want my car running rich/lean not even for 2 minutes more then it should.

its as simple as discconecting the neg from the baterry, removing the old filter. cleaning the junk thats collected in the airbox. by the time your done changing the filter your good to go

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
i was told that the ECU learns and adjusts everything itself after a while and that resetting it wasnt needed...
ita not going far at all. i wouldnt want my car running rich/lean not even for 2 minutes more then it should.
resetting the ecu is so easy and does not cost any money. it should be done after any drivetrain mod or service. or performance mod/service.

its just so easy to skip on it. also not resetting it will not damge your car in any way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.