8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
you have an oil life meter, use that.

OR

You can routinely just change your oil every 3 months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
No, wait till your maintenance minder hits 15%. I'm currently at 10%, but I haven't had any time to change it. It'll probably hit 5% when I do it this weekend.

·
Registered
302 Posts
[QUOTE="Ridge"Racer]but my car has 2k (2000) miles on it, so can i put in the mobile1 now?[/QUOTE]

I don't care what the manual says. I always change the oil in any motor at 20 miles (most important) , 150 miles, 600 miles, 1500 miles and thats when I make the transition to full synthetic oil.

I break the motor in by varying the RPM's. Hard accelerations accompanied by hard decelerations. Usually done on a dyno, but easily done on the street due to wind resistance.

oh and always make sure the car is completely warmed up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep, ever torn a motor apart and seen the discoloration on the pistons when the motor was broken in using the manuals suggestions? They just want you to take it easy on the car so you don't wreck it leaving the dealership etc etc...

Also, have you seen the amount of metal in the oil when you change the oil for the 1st time?

Ever heard of Motomans break in method?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
achapman said:
Yep, ever torn a motor apart and seen the discoloration on the pistons when the motor was broken in using the manuals suggestions? They just want you to take it easy on the car so you don't wreck it leaving the dealership etc etc...

Also, have you seen the amount of metal in the oil when you change the oil for the 1st time?

Ever heard of Motomans break in method?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
What were you changing the oil with when you were going through the intervals? Dino?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just change it when it is due. The synthetic oil will not hurt your engine at any mileage it's just a myth and there is no evidence to support otherwise.

·
Registered
302 Posts
TommyD said:
Here we go with the mototune bullshit :D
Have you ever torn apart and completely build a motor from the ground up? I tested the method on 2 different bikes. Both yamaha r6's. One was my race bike that I broke in on the dyno, the other was a street that was broken in by the manual. Tore them apart, and you can clearly see the difference.

Yes I put only dino oil in it for the break in. It's said that synthetic oil is a bit too slippery for break in, but again, its a debatable topic. I simply choose dino oil since I am changing it so much and its cheaper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts