8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Civic a/t. My co-worker says unless there is something wrong, I should NEVER change the transmission fluid.

is he right?

should I change it based on the smell? what does healthy transmission fluid smell like?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Many American cars (such as Chevrolet) actually state in their manuals that you don't need to change transmission fluid, that it will last the life of the car. That's why some think that you don't need to change it.

My experience with Japanese cars like the Civic is that Honda wants you to check fluids monthly, including the oil, brake, coolant and transmission fluid. They want you to change the fluids after a certain mileage.

When the maintenance minder gives you a "3" (e.g., A3 or B3 code), that's when you should change the transmission fluid. Maybe someone else knows an exact mileage if that works better for you.

You will find that the maintenance minder starts with either an "A" or a "B". The "A" indicates the need for an oil and filter change only. the "B" indicates the oil and filter and the periodic safety, mechanical and emissions systems inspections.
the number that follows either letter indicate the need for additional maintenance services such as changing air filters, differential fluid etc.
the 1 = tire rotation so that a B1 is an oil and filter change with a tire rotation.
2= air filter replacement
so B12= oil and filter, tire rotation and air filter change
3= transmission oil replacment
4= spark plug replacement, valve adjustment and timing belt replacement
5= coolant replacement
6= VTM (4wd) differential fluid replacement

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm a tech at a Honda dealership and the way we're taught to deal with tranny services is you change it when the maintenance minder 3 comes up on the dash like enchantedsky said. But also, we recommend a complete flush every 30k which is flushing out all the fluid and not just draining out the 2-3 quarts through the drain hole.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm a tech at a Honda dealership and the way we're taught to deal with tranny services is you change it when the maintenance minder 3 comes up on the dash like enchantedsky said. But also, we recommend a complete flush every 30k which is flushing out all the fluid and not just draining out the 2-3 quarts through the drain hole.
I bought my 09 Civic as a Certified used car but now it has 34K miles and some change. I've never seen any maintenance minder codes pop up anywhere but should i still have my tranny fluid change?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The maint minder codes come up where the odometer is. Something like B13 or A2. How many miles have you put on it since you got it? Depending on your driving habits is when the car will tell you when to service it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i like to change mines every 3rd oil change"AMSOIL MTF". to some, it might be a waste of money but not too me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, just talked to the dealer.

they said they changed it in 2011.

and also, if the fluid is dark brown, has a really burnt smell to it that stings my nose, and the liquid itself is really watery, thats when I know its time to change.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The maint minder codes come up where the odometer is. Something like B13 or A2. How many miles have you put on it since you got it? Depending on your driving habits is when the car will tell you when to service it.
i think she had 17k miles already when i got her so ~17-18k miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
have read that the tranny maint. light will come up about 60k miles.
so, would recommend drain/renew the 2-3 quarts about 30k intervals.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Si has 34,250 now, I bought it with 19,250. I want to change the fluid and get my magnetic plug on. Two questions: 1. Is flushing that much better than just drain and refill? How do you flush it? 2. And I see in the owner's manual it says 1.5 quarts for trans including the diff. Is the diff a completely separate project to drain or does it use the same fluid that is in the gearbox?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have an on Civic LX certified pre-owned with 14,000 when purchased.
i am at 122,000 now and have never flushed or drained the trans. fluid.
dealer ship quoted 225.00 for a flush.
I have read a few threads about DIY with 3x drain fill with 3 qts each time and a drive inbetween each drain/fill.
it almost seems worth the labor cost to have them do it when your talking about the time it takes for the fluid to drain and then fill plus the drive... I mean Really..? what is the time frame for a DIY flush...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have read a few threads about DIY with 3x drain fill with 3 qts each time and a drive inbetween each drain/fill.
it almost seems worth the labor cost to have them do it when your talking about the time it takes for the fluid to drain and then fill plus the drive... I mean Really..? what is the time frame for a DIY flush...?

I just did mine. 3x drain and fill...took me about an hour and a half including going for a 5-10k drive and shifting between P/R/N/D. Got 7 litres of ATF Fluid. My tranny was sluggish and now it feels like new.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Fresh fluid is always good. The service manual recommends 37.5 k miles under severe conditions for both manuals and automatics. Normal conditions it recommends 120k miles. I change mine usually every summer which is about 20k miles for my Si. I have skunk2 magnetic drain plugs for oil and tranny and the tranny one did collect some metal on my last flush, probably from letting my friend drive one time and grinding 3rd gear. Just drain and refill no real flushing needed. That stuff stinks so bad if it is not changed for a while.

http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/50/SNB6E50000000000000JBAT30.html

·
Registered
372 Posts
For peace of mind, I would probably change it. But it's up to you. Just so you know it was done and you can start fresh:dance:
I will probably do that too. I bought mine 2 months ago with 75,000 km on it. I wasn't at first under the impression it would need it at the moment because the previous owner was easy on the car, (it is pretty low mileage for a 2009). However, she wasn't the most concerned about maintenance. I have already changed the oil even though *supposedly* it had been changed but I wanted to be sure. Same with this...

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I have a 2009 Civic a/t. My co-worker says unless there is something wrong, I should NEVER change the transmission fluid.

is he right?

should I change it based on the smell? what does healthy transmission fluid smell like?
He is WRONG. All lubricants degrade over time and use.

With all due respect, and I've been doing the "drain and fill " method for about 10 years now and haven't had a problem. However, I have seen MANY threads that Honda transmissions are very sensitive to having a flush performed. Consensus is that Drain and fill is the safest and recommended method. Besides, I have seen that Honda does NOT recommend any of their vehicles be flushed for the ATF.

i like to change mines every 3rd oil change"AMSOIL MTF". to some, it might be a waste of money but not too me.
Not a waste, you are keeping your tranny in tip top shape. Why use Amsoil and not OEM?

ok, just talked to the dealer.

they said they changed it in 2011.

and also, if the fluid is dark brown, has a really burnt smell to it that stings my nose, and the liquid itself is really watery, thats when I know its time to change.
If my dealer said that to me, I would find another dealer. The thing is to change it before it degrades. It sounds like if the fluid is dark brown, smelly and liquidy, then it's probably too late and SOME damage is being done to the transmission. I would change the ATF every 30K.

I drain and fill every 30k miles.

Not waiting for the mm, who knows when it will appear.
Yep 2X

Again, no flush. Drain and fill every 30K, and 2 times after that (perform during the next 2 oil changes. It won't be ALL new fluid, but at least the ATF will be "fresher" than if you didn't. This is how I've been doing it since new (2007). I'm at 195,000 and the tranny operates like new. If you can DIY, do this method. Honestly, it probably easier to do this than to change the oil. Dealer charges $225 for a drain and fill? That seems a bit much, but doesn't surprise me.

I just did mine. 3x drain and fill...took me about an hour and a half including going for a 5-10k drive and shifting between P/R/N/D. Got 7 litres of ATF Fluid. My tranny was sluggish and now it feels like new.
2X Agree.

Fresh fluid is always good. The service manual recommends 37.5 k miles under severe conditions for both manuals and automatics. Normal conditions it recommends 120k miles. I change mine usually every summer which is about 20k miles for my Si. I have skunk2 magnetic drain plugs for oil and tranny and the tranny one did collect some metal on my last flush, probably from letting my friend drive one time and grinding 3rd gear. Just drain and refill no real flushing needed. That stuff stinks so bad if it is not changed for a while.
I always go for the manufacturer's "several maintenance" recommendation. It is CHEAP insurance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Changing your transmission fluid is so easy and gives so much self gratification once finished. You'll notice your transmission will shift a lot smoother and I notice mine doesn't hunt for gears quite as much. Just make sure you use the Honda ATF.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts