8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealership yesterday to check out the si. Test drove it and everything, but they only had habenero red. It looked pretty good and I wouldn't mind having that color, but I prefer white. If no other dealerships have a white that my dealership can trade for, I would have to wait eight to ten weeks (late February / early March) to get it.. Should I wait? The only reason my dad isn't to thrilled about the red and thinks it will end up looking like....

after a long time.

We currently have a 1999 pontiac grand prix in white and it still shines nicely..so I'm not sure if I should wait or not.

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
Be patient & get what your first choice is or else you may face buyers remorse. The dealer I bought my TW FA5 from had ASM, GG & NBP FA5's on the lot but I stuck to my guns & they got me my TW. Do you have any other dealers in your area?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have a bunch, but the dealership with the two HRP Si's are making their orders on Monday, so I guess I have to call every other dealership in the area or have the dealership do it for me. I'm in NJ though, pretty close to PA, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find a FA5 in TW right?

Btw..

What does FA5 and FG2 stand for?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I went to the dealership yesterday to check out the si. Test drove it and everything, but they only had habenero red. It looked pretty good and I wouldn't mind having that color, but I prefer white. If no other dealerships have a white that my dealership can trade for, I would have to wait eight to ten weeks (late February / early March) to get it.. Should I wait? The only reason my dad isn't to thrilled about the red and thinks it will end up looking like....

after a long time.

We currently have a 1999 pontiac grand prix in white and it still shines nicely..so I'm not sure if I should wait or not.

Cars only look like that due to severe neglect. You can keep any cars paint looking brand new for the life of the vehicle if you just take time to wash it and not let dirt build up. Also keep it in a garage and out of the sun as much as possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't belive the dealer! I was told 4-6 months to get a NHBP Si coupe and 3-4 weeks later it was sitting in my driveway. Get the color you want, not the color the dealer has.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Current advancements in technology prevent most paint from deteriorating like the picture shown earlier in this discussion. Thats why the clear coat was established -- and a extensive baking process. In terms of taking care of your paint, it all depends on how much your drive your car, where you live, and whether it is garaged or not. If you don't garage your car try to wash it every week. Make sure you wet sand it every 3-6 months or as needed. Also make sure there is somewhat of a coat of wax on the critical area(s) of the car at all times. If you do this, then your paint will be looking new for the rest of your cars
life. We being owners of a Japanese product are not endowed with high quality paint which is mostly found in European automobiles. My SLK I owned before the Si had amazing paint which was very ''strong'' and long lasting. That car required minimal care to the exterior which was always a plus.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Current advancements in technology prevent most paint from deteriorating like the picture shown earlier in this discussion. Thats why the clear coat was established -- and a extensive baking process. In terms of taking care of your paint, it all depends on how much your drive your car, where you live, and whether it is garaged or not. If you don't garage your car try to wash it every week. Make sure you wet sand it every 3-6 months or as needed. Also make sure there is somewhat of a coat of wax on the critical area(s) of the car at all times. If you do this, then your paint will be looking new for the rest of your cars
life. We being owners of a Japanese product are not endowed with high quality paint which is mostly found in European automobiles. My SLK I owned before the Si had amazing paint which was very ''strong'' and long lasting. That car required minimal care to the exterior which was always a plus.
wet sand?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Look on autotrader or cars.com for a TW fa5 around your area...you might find one

that way you wont have to waste your time calling lots of places...unless you dont find one and still want to call

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Wet sanding it every couple months would destroy the clearcoat that protects the paint. Leaving noting to protect the paint. Expect to have to repaint your car in 1-2yrs.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Take care of your paint and it will look great for a long time to come. Proper maintenance, claybaring, washing, waxing, polishing, keeping after stains and bird crap, ect goes a long way.

In fact I would be more concerned about dings in the paint from road debris. Our paint isn't terribly resilient in that regard. Though it is not nearly as bad as say, my dad's BMW. No durability from dings and chemical stains.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Take care of your paint and it will look great for a long time to come. Proper maintenance, claybaring, washing, waxing, polishing, keeping after stains and bird crap, ect goes a long way.

In fact I would be more concerned about dings in the paint from road debris. Our paint isn't terribly resilient in that regard. Though it is not nearly as bad as say, my dad's BMW. No durability from dings and chemical stains.
Really??? I find my dads BMW (2007) to have extremely durable and glossy paint.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
If you want the white, then wait the 8-10 weeks. I waited 12 weeks for my Si to get what I wanted. Good luck. :wavey:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I called about ten dealerships today and found two white ones on the lot that are relatively close to my area, so that's good. I also called the dealership that said I would need to wait eight to ten weeks to see if there was an update or if they had located the car I wanted, but they hadn't done anything and said the only way was to order it. Another dealership said I would only have to wait two weeks if I ordered it. Is that possible to get it two weeks on order?

edit**

I think I may be getting the car out of state tomorrow..has anyone else done this and know the procedure about registering it? Do I need to reregister it in my state or something? About how much will that cost?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts