8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed the passenger side engine mount bracket (the bracket that sits on top on the black round engine mount) on 2008 Civic Lx 4dr 1.8L I can see motor oil when peeking down the hole where the bolt was removed on the engine block. See photo with yellow highlight for location. Is this normal??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like it's been leaking for a while. Oil will find it's way anywhere, even if a leak is down low, it can go up a wire/harness. I'd suspect that hole plug gasket and the valve cover gasket for starters. If the timing cover or the timing chain access cover is leaking, I'm pretty sure the drive belt would align it up there as well. Also, if you dont have any leaks, it could be from messy oil changes when adding oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it's been leaking for a while. Oil will find it's way anywhere, even if a leak is down low, it can go up a wire/harness. I'd suspect that hole plug gasket and the valve cover gasket for starters. If the timing cover or the timing chain access cover is leaking, I'm pretty sure the drive belt would align it up there as well. Also, if you dont have any leaks, it could be from messy oil changes when adding oil.
Yeah I do see oil seep out slowly near the valve cover gasket so I will change that gasket (i use a funnel for adding so pretty sure its valve cover gasket lol).

Also I should also change the spark plug gaskets (that should stop the oil from appearing at that hole for the side engine mount?)

And lastly I am not sure what you mean about the timing chain cover and drive/accessory belt.

Thanks🤙

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah, mistyped. I meant to say, "the drive belt would sling it up there as well." As in, as the oil leaks out while the engine is on, it will slowly drip onto the belt, and the belt will sling it wherever.
Concerning the spark plug gaskets, this vehicle has none. It's just a straight tube that is not apart of the valve cover. So you don't have to do anything there.
One more thing, there is a plastic plug with an oring on it that lines directly up with the camshaft (aka cam plug lol.) If you're going to replace the valve cover gasket, that is an easy item to replace as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, mistyped. I meant to say, "the drive belt would sling it up there as well." As in, as the oil leaks out while the engine is on, it will slowly drip onto the belt, and the belt will sling it wherever.
Concerning the spark plug gaskets, this vehicle has none. It's just a straight tube that is not apart of the valve cover. So you don't have to do anything there.
One more thing, there is a plastic plug with an oring on it that lines directly up with the camshaft (aka cam plug lol.) If you're going to replace the valve cover gasket, that is an easy item to replace as well.
So replace valve cover gasket, “cam plug” thing but what would stop the oil from leaking through to the hole where that side engine bolt was removed as pictured? I dont think just doing the valve cover will fix that since the valve cover prevents oil from leaking to outside of engine only?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That bolt hole does not go through to where engine oil is. The only thing that would allow oil at that spot, provided no external leaks, is a porous timing cover.

External oil leaks can get to places you would never expect. Something I learned early on in my automotive career, is that oil can creep up wiring. The most common way is from the oil pressure switch because it threads right into where oil is. When the switch begins to allow allow to leak from its fastening point, oil will leak onto the switch and begin to "crawl" up the wiring and drip from up above. How this happens, I forget the science behind it that someone was educating me on, but, it happens. Oil is a liquid that can get through all sorts of tiny places. Dont be surprised to see a pool of oil in a place you would least expect it. Always perform a thorough visual inspection, followed by a thorough cleaning of the entire engine bay, and closing with another visual inspection soon after to verify leak points.

I say that middle paragraph to just let you know that, maybe, if you only have a valve cover leak, fixing that will, more than likely, prevent that bolt hole from filling with oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That bolt hole does not go through to where engine oil is. The only thing that would allow oil at that spot, provided no external leaks, is a porous timing cover.

External oil leaks can get to places you would never expect. Something I learned early on in my automotive career, is that oil can creep up wiring. The most common way is from the oil pressure switch because it threads right into where oil is. When the switch begins to allow allow to leak from its fastening point, oil will leak onto the switch and begin to "crawl" up the wiring and drip from up above. How this happens, I forget the science behind it that someone was educating me on, but, it happens. Oil is a liquid that can get through all sorts of tiny places. Dont be surprised to see a pool of oil in a place you would least expect it. Always perform a thorough visual inspection, followed by a thorough cleaning of the entire engine bay, and closing with another visual inspection soon after to verify leak points.

I say that middle paragraph to just let you know that, maybe, if you only have a valve cover leak, fixing that will, more than likely, prevent that bolt hole from filling with oil.
Did your Civic have this issue yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes. Mine has 222k on it. I replaced the valve cover gasket when I did the last valve adjust as well as reseal the timing chain access port. Another thing mine had going on was the power steering pump was leaking and it made that whole side of the engine bay caked in oil (P.S. oil.) Replaced it a couple months ago. Power washed the engine bay after I was done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Mine has 222k on it. I replaced the valve cover gasket when I did the last valve adjust as well as reseal the timing chain access port. Another thing mine had going on was the power steering pump was leaking and it made that whole side of the engine bay caked in oil (P.S. oil.) Replaced it a couple months ago. Power washed the engine bay after I was done.
Reseal the timing chain access port? Is that the round black plastic cap on the side of the engine block near that bolt hole that have the oil leak in there? Will this fix my issue? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't call it round or plastic cap. It has 4... 5? I think just 4 10mm bolts on it. Sealed with RTV. I can't tell you if it will or won't. I'm not inspecting your vehicle. You, taking on the role of the technician, are responsible for verifying your concern, identifying the problem area, repairing it properly, and verifying that you actually did the job right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
2 Participants
Ephraim275
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing