8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the wheel locks the dealership gave me for my stock si wheels work with aftermarket wheels? how can i tell?

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
Probably not because the seat on OEM lugs are ball seat & aftermarket wheels use a acorn seat lug.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the packaging says honda, but on the wheel lock key it says mcgard, the same company tire rack recomended for the wheels i'm gonna buy. so i should be good with the ones i have right?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the packaging says honda, but on the wheel lock key it says mcgard, the same company tire rack recomended for the wheels i'm gonna buy. so i should be good with the ones i have right?

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I would imagine so, but I'm just guessing. Sorry.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Exactly. I have the same wheel locks, and they won't technically fit your new aftermarket wheels. The seating on the Honda ones are ball, while the lugs you're getting from TireRack are straight. If you wait to get your wheels in, you'll see the difference.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yes

they're basically the same thread size lug nut as all your other lugs except they cant be twisted off with a regular wrench, you need the key

so yes your wheels locks & lugs will fit with different wheels because they're all going onto the same bolts

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
the biggest question is what type of lugs your aftermarket wheels use.. if your aftermarket use stock type lugs, they will work.. otherwise you should be using the appropriate type of lugs.. "tuner" lugs are quite common

·
Registered
513 Posts
The oem lugs & wheel locks for any Honda/Acura employ a rounded seat. Most aftermarket wheels use a "cone" shape or "V" shape seat (Volk, BBS, etc...). I would not use oem wheel locks if my aftermarket wheels use cone shaped lugs. Just check the lugs that come with your aftermarket wheels. The seating area should be identical with oem wheel locks. If they are coned shape like a "V" where it sits on the wheel. I don't care what anyone else says, DO NOT USE OEM WHEEL LOCKS!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The oem lugs & wheel locks for any Honda/Acura employ a rounded seat. Most aftermarket wheels use a "cone" shape or "V" shape seat (Volk, BBS, etc...). I would not use oem wheel locks if my aftermarket wheels use cone shaped lugs. Just check the lugs that come with your aftermarket wheels. The seating area should be identical with oem wheel locks. If they are coned shape like a "V" where it sits on the wheel. I don't care what anyone else says, DO NOT USE OEM WHEEL LOCKS!
what if your aftermarket wheels didnt come with lug nuts?

i ordered RPM2s obviously with the honda 5 bolt pattern and they didnt come with lugs... so i would assume they wanted you to use your stock lugs? ive been using the OEM lugs&locks for awhile with no bad things happening

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use 1 wheel lock lug on each RIM they are V-shaped like everyone has mentioned.

Honestly, if only ONE of them is off shape it doesn't make any difference in my honest opinion. You still have 4 that are seated and tightened properly.

·
Registered
513 Posts
what if your aftermarket wheels didnt come with lug nuts?

i ordered RPM2s obviously with the honda 5 bolt pattern and they didnt come with lugs... so i would assume they wanted you to use your stock lugs? ive been using the OEM lugs&locks for awhile with no bad things happening

The thread pattern is the same but I'm talking about the seating surfaces. If you have a coned shape hole you should use coned shape lugs. If you use oem lugs/locks (round) in a coned shape hole there is not enough of the lug surface sitting in the hole. It might feel tight but under load such as hard cornering, you'll be stressing the contact points....not good.

It's like trying to use a "standard" wrench on a "metric" nut. It might work but you should use metric.

People should never assume anything, especially in the safety department. Safety is not a matter of opinion. Get the facts, and do it right! If you didn't get the correct lugs from your vendor, you should call and get them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts