8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come my cutoff is at 6800? the engine just starts to make power at 6000 so i think its a little too soon, ive hit the cutoff twice now. Anyone know how high you can rev this engine safely or even raise the limiter to at least 7000

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
valve train wont take it... also this is where 2 cams become relavent. on cam can only do so much CFM... enjoy the r18's 87 octane fill ups and gas mileage. racing an r18 is like watching old people do it.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
pks17 said:
How come my cutoff is at 6800? the engine just starts to make power at 6000 so i think its a little too soon, ive hit the cutoff twice now. Anyone know how high you can rev this engine safely or even raise the limiter to at least 7000
The r18 was not designed for anything like that thats what the SI is for just do basic bolt ons and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
i thought the red area was when the turbo kicked in...i let the needle go there all the time...so thats bad? I guess it did always make a funny noise...but again I thought that was the turbo.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would have thought it would be higher then 6800rpm, i mean my late 80s crx could at least go to 7000 if you wanted to. rev limited kicked in just past7000. and im pretty sure the honda drivetrain in the r18 is more capable. just conservative honda at its best.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Its also so the torque #s dont drop too low. The higher the redlimit, the lower the torque to HP ratio. High reving engines have low torque numbers and high torque motors have lower redlines.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YAH i agree, i think thats how they got the powerband so good on the new engine. And it is just a economy car, "honda" used to mean rev forever and no tourqe. i think they are slowly trying to change that image

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
trogers8 said:
i thought the red area was when the turbo kicked in...i let the needle go there all the time...so thats bad? I guess it did always make a funny noise...but again I thought that was the turbo.
wow you guys are silly :laughing:
-on a more serious note. The r18 engine isn't really a high reving engine. It was actually designed for fuel efficiency as the k20 (si) is more of a high rev er if you may. There's a lot of threads explaining specs on both engines. I previously owned an r18 and the redline kicks in right at 7000 rpm. I wouldn't recommed really pushing it after 6800rpm as you may start to lose power or bounce the rev limiter. Compliment yourself with a couple bolt-ons (CAI recommended) and enjoy your ride :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts