8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going away to college up in the cities around here soon and I get lost up there so easily.. it's about time I got navi.

I was thinking about getting one of those 3-400 dollar crap ones that you just stick on your windshield but I want something a little more classy.

I don't need the ability to play movies, touchscreen, etc etc. I just want navi and music that fits with OEM-looking style into the double din dash kit. What navi would you suggest I get to accomplish this?

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is a good question, I'd be interested in something like this too if it can go cheaper than the stock $1600 Navi lol. Granted it's nice & has XMS radio etc.. but meh, I just want the GPS

·
Registered
578 Posts
some of the best units out are the pioneers. the avic-d3 will run u about 750-800 if u know where to look. the avic-z2 is the top of the line but its also twice the price

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
If you have an Ipod get the Avic D3, its 685 on ebay. The Eclipse AVN2210p is around 550 but it's a piece of crap. Good luck

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really just want an in-dash navi with the ability to play music as well.. are they tough to find for a decent price? I don't need all that touchscreen, ipod playing, dvd reading technology for $1000+ when all i need is music/navi.

Anyone have any links or anything to a good place to shop for these?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Get A Used Factory One
Ive Seen Them For Around 600
Or Get The Alpine
Sound Is Good And Its Around 750
Personnally Id Get The Factor Its A Nice Unit
Just Get All The Stuff And Youll Be Set
You Can Even Add Dvd To It
I Did And I Love The Dvd Quality On It

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, I think the OEM navi is a joke. It flows with the car well, but for 2 grand, it doesn't do as much as it should. I'm talking things like Dvd playback and a backup camera, at least.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I Vtec said:
I really just want an in-dash navi with the ability to play music as well.. are they tough to find for a decent price? I don't need all that touchscreen, ipod playing, dvd reading technology for $1000+ when all i need is music/navi.

Anyone have any links or anything to a good place to shop for these?
www.crutchfield.com

dude you aren't gonna find anything under 500 bucks thats in-dash. In-dash nav for that cheap will not have HD space and it's gonna have that DVD technology anyway. I think the D3 for under 700 is the best value out there.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Heck, just get a portable navi unit. If you don't care for all the extra features a navi h/u has, then you're paying a lot for nothing. Really, think about it. I know you said you don't want to go that route, but the difference is at least $300 for some other things you said you don't want.

My dad bought the Garmin c330 from newegg a few months ago and I've used it a couple times. I took it with me to Hawaii on my honeymoon and it worked flawlessly. Only $250 shipped to his door, too.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pioneer's Navigation isn't that great at all, not to mention the features of the head-unit for car audio is lacking.

Either spend the money on a good Eclipse or just buy a portable navi.

·
Registered
406 Posts
mike11202 said:
Pioneer's Navigation isn't that great at all, not to mention the features of the head-unit for car audio is lacking.

Either spend the money on a good Eclipse or just buy a portable navi.
Right on the money. With the D3 you are getting inferior navigation and horrible functionality. The DAC is absolute garbage along with the very lackluster EQ. The Bluetooth module is crap. It has 2V pre-outs. The only decent thing about it is the iPod support and even that is comparable with other manufacturers. The price is nice but you won't catch me jumping on the AVIC bandwagon.

The audio/video quality from any Eclipse/FujitsuTen is worth the extra money to spend. Toyota/Lexus use Eclipse/Fujitsu for their factory navigation units and if you've ever had a chance to use one, you will know why they are superior.

Check the 5xxx/6xxx series of the Eclipse AVN.

If not, you can't go wrong with a Nuvi from Garmin. I sell the hell out of the Nuvi 350 and 680.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I Vtec said:
To be honest, I think the OEM navi is a joke. It flows with the car well, but for 2 grand, it doesn't do as much as it should. I'm talking things like Dvd playback and a backup camera, at least.
The oem navi is the $$$$ makes the dash look better, you will never get lost, voice activation who else offers that in the after market ?, Pc card slot = better then an ipod. I don't need to watch movies while driving, and i don't need a back up camera LOL the fact that its oem integrated and every SI owner wished they got it went they see it is enough for me to justify it.

I would get a Garmin they work Great !

·
Registered
246 Posts
I Vtec said:
ummmm are you serious? You need a back-up camera in a CIVIC. WOWZERS to that one man. :iorun:

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will06SI said:
The oem navi is the $$$$ makes the dash look better, you will never get lost, voice activation who else offers that in the after market ?, Pc card slot = better then an ipod. I don't need to watch movies while driving, and i don't need a back up camera LOL the fact that its oem integrated and every SI owner wished they got it went they see it is enough for me to justify it.
Hmm... maybe you're just that kind of person who likes to have what others don't, so it justifies the price to you. However, with two grand, you could buy a MUCH better navigation, and then have money left over to upgrade your audio as well.

And I never said I needed a back-up camera.. I just said it's a feature one should include when charging two grand.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
the cheapest in-dash navi ive seen was a jenson. i mean really, who would want a jenson. just remember, you get what you pay for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts