8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a all stock R18 and recently decided to unscrew the uh i think it was the muffler and exhaust. but anyways it sounded great and it made me want to get a catback exhaust but Im pretty new with car stuff, so I just wanted to know what parts should i focus on if i wanna make my car louder. Thanks in advance for the help :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
expensive route is full replacement of the exhaust, cheap rout is to cut the resonator straight off, bend up a new straight pipe and move on. There is way more to improving performance than just making your car louder tho, dont be afraid to ask questions and dig through the forum. everything you need is here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
expensive route is full replacement of the exhaust, cheap rout is to cut the resonator straight off, bend up a new straight pipe and move on. There is way more to improving performance than just making your car louder tho, dont be afraid to ask questions and dig through the forum. everything you need is here
okay thank you. do you know whats the best replacements for the whole exhaust that costs less than 500 ? ive seen the skunk2 catback exhaust and i would want that but except its $555 and its honestly a bit pricey.

·
Registered
85 Posts
you get what you pay for tho that skunk 2 is gonna fit with little to zero issues, however if youre going for that fat can look you can get just a muffler to be welded on for under 250 with how you have it now, or are you specifically trying to do a cat delete?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually screwed it back on lol. its illegal in Texas, so Im trying to make my car sound the right way and put some exhaust or a new muffler (not sure if thats what makes it louder, im new) Ive heard about putting in an axleback as well but just really not sure which parts the best

·
Registered
85 Posts
the design of the muffler is going to have a lot of play into the sound of what you're going to hear, an axleback will bolt on to your existing piping and will change the sound due to the design being different from the oem design but unless the officer is a car guy generally they wont know the difference. plus there are always gray areas to the law, if it looks like its got a muffler then it has a muffler. now if you want the straight pipe sound with the stealth of oem look, drop the back can again cut out the top, remove the inner baffling that directs the sound then re weld the cut out back in and put back in place.

·
Registered
85 Posts
what does your city or county ordinance say about sound levels where you live? there is generally a DB rating you can not exceed as the above post says theres always gray areas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
magnaflow.com has good examples of what their products are going to sound like on their web site if that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah okay. im not exactly sure what the rules for sound levels are supposed to be here in Houston, I havent seen anything bout it. and i will check out magnaflow. From what Ive seen from the posts here there isnt much good exhausts for the r18, ive only seen like 3 for em and mostly for si's. I might just use the si axleback for my car tbh since most people from other posts recommended it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
ah okay. im not exactly sure what the rules for sound levels are supposed to be here in Houston, I havent seen anything bout it. and i will check out magnaflow. From what Ive seen from the posts here there isnt much good exhausts for the r18, ive only seen like 3 for em and mostly for si's. I might just use the si axleback for my car tbh since most people from other posts recommended it.

This Post is full of ignorance. All you have to do is your homework man. the Loudest exhaust you can get would be a tomei next to a skunk2. BOTH of which companies make a exhaust for a R18. Here is a funny fact did you know a Si exhaust or a exhaust for si only will fit a R18. Come on man just do your research takes less then 5 mins to find that information out. If you want your r18 to sound quality don't go cutting mufflers axle back bullshit. Get a full quality exhaust. you want it louder add a downpipe and tune and now your talking. You are going to have to spend some money to do things right and not waste time

"You have the Pay to Play"

The Motto of any modified car that is being built. Not playstation or Xbox currency man. The Real deal.

As for me how do I know??? I have one of the most Modded R18s on this forum. exhaust turbo meth BBK color change transmission complete suspension overhaul you name it I got it. I get very annoyed when people make comments without even bothering to do research. I actually am in texas. dont worry about sound we are not California so you will be fine. Spend the money. I personally have a Greddy Racing Ti exhaust love it sounds great with a rumble but not obnoxious.

Just save your money up man buy a part then guess what install it and SAVE again for the next mod. that's how it works and life works eventually you will have a modded monster just takes time man. Also constantly look in the for sale threads to buy parts from others demodding save tons like that and get some one off parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This Post is full of ignorance. All you have to do is your homework man. the Loudest exhaust you can get would be a tomei next to a skunk2. BOTH of which companies make a exhaust for a R18. Here is a funny fact did you know a Si exhaust or a exhaust for si only will fit a R18. Come on man just do your research takes less then 5 mins to find that information out. If you want your r18 to sound quality don't go cutting mufflers axle back bullshit. Get a full quality exhaust. you want it louder add a downpipe and tune and now your talking. You are going to have to spend some money to do things right and not waste time

"You have the Pay to Play"

The Motto of any modified car that is being built. Not playstation or Xbox currency man. The Real deal.

As for me how do I know??? I have one of the most Modded R18s on this forum. exhaust turbo meth BBK color change transmission complete suspension overhaul you name it I got it. I get very annoyed when people make comments without even bothering to do research. I actually am in texas. dont worry about sound we are not California so you will be fine. Spend the money. I personally have a Greddy Racing Ti exhaust love it sounds great with a rumble but not obnoxious.

Just save your money up man buy a part then guess what install it and SAVE again for the next mod. that's how it works and life works eventually you will have a modded monster just takes time man. Also constantly look in the for sale threads to buy parts from others demodding save tons like that and get some one off parts.
Aight. I have been doin research today and also why I asked here to get help and im also new and didnt really know where to start, so ive just been looking at exhausts and the threads I found about the best exhausts were for SI's but now that you said SI's will fit an r18 that makes it a lot easier to find one. Do I have to add any washers or something or is it like a perfect fit? Thank you btw

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Aight. I have been doin research today and also why I asked here to get help and im also new and didnt really know where to start, so ive just been looking at exhausts and the threads I found about the best exhausts were for SI's but now that you said SI's will fit an r18 that makes it a lot easier to find one. Do I have to add any washers or something or is it like a perfect fit? Thank you btw

You still missing the point name a company they make that exhaust for si and r18 so just get the r18 version. As far as washer nuts etc nope identical. just 2.5 or 3.0. As far as I know only the Full Race exhaust would have to be modded. you are not talking about that one anywho

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a all stock R18 and recently decided to unscrew the uh i think it was the muffler and exhaust. but anyways it sounded great and it made me want to get a catback exhaust but Im pretty new with car stuff, so I just wanted to know what parts should i focus on if i wanna make my car louder. Thanks in advance for the help :)
If you want to make your car louder I would just do headers back (if you don’t want to get into engine internals), but loud isn’t always a good thing. If it will no longer sound good without having any actual engine modifications to adapt to it. I just did a 2.5” pipe from cats back (modified muffler). It offers a deep throated sound/tone and it doesn’t have drown sound while maintaining 70-80mph in the highway, which is nice (at least to me), but it can still be loud when revving or going from 0-60 (you still get that noise you want to hear from a 4 banger). At least that’s my opinion. Also, different exhaust brands have different things to offer. A tune can also help. The more you spend could potentially mean a better sounding exhaust, but I would suggest listening to sound clips of your specific car with each exhaust brand you have interest in or that’s in your price range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts