8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Noise from rack and play in rack rod

Today i asked my mechanic to focus on rack and send me video recording if anything abnormal observed. He sent me following video of left side if steering rack.

https://youtu.be/NdDkYr8oUho

You can hear noise in this video, and on close video inspection you will also notice play in rack rod. This is aftermarket new rack replaced 4-5 months ago. My mechanic says i have been cheated and this is re-built old rack and is having some play in rack rod.

Is it common to have such play in rack rod? Or this is abnormal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
half the time when I'm accelerating it makes this sound, no sound when my foot is on the brake. 2008 honda civic AT

watch?v=ih--DXQ14B0

i can't post links yet, so edit the url, any help would be nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm hoping one of the fine folks of 8thCivic can help me! I have a recently purchased 2008 Civic Coupe EX. It has 214000 kms, eh, or approx. 134000 miles.

It has an interesting idle sound. It idles well, and at the set 750 rpm, but the tone seems off. I was thinking maybe a valve adjustment? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. First post, so I cannot post links.

Any chance I can PM someone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weird noice and vibration!!

Hi everyone! I´m having this issue for quite long now and it started to get on my nerves not being able to find out what the issue is. I would appreciate any help!

It´s a 2007 Honda Civic EXS MT manufactured in Brazil for Argentinean market. When it´s idling and even more while accelerating (at low RPMs), the engine starts vibrating almost shaking the whole car, while making an annoying whisle. It happens every once in a while and lasts for a few days. Usually comes back when I´m in 3rd or higher gear and try to quickly accelerate (without lowering the gear). Also, when this happens, I feel a loss of power and sometimes the rpms get stuck at some point, not letting me keep accelerating in that gear, having to lower the gear in order to keep accelerating.

Thanks y'all in advance!

I can´t post links yet so here goes part of it... youtu.be/7ly_qr9JKls

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm hoping one of the fine folks of 8thCivic can help me! I have a recently purchased 2008 Civic Coupe EX. It has 214000 kms, eh, or approx. 134000 miles.

It has an interesting idle sound. It idles well, and at the set 750 rpm, but the tone seems off. I was thinking maybe a valve adjustment? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. First post, so I cannot post links.

Any chance I can PM someone?
When you had the camera near the tail pipe, it sounded like a diesel which I would not expect unless you're in the engine compartment, this could indicate a valvetrain issue or it could just be the camera amplifying the sound. Has the oil been changed recently and does the sound become quieter after the engine is at operating temp? Or vise versa, does it get louder on a cold start? If so then you've got worn valvetrain components

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I've bought a used Honda Civic 8gen 5D 1.8, and since two months already I'm dealing with a very annoying clunking sound coming from the wheel area (front left, front right also but left is worse). It happens when I'm driving slowly, low rpm and when the car is going:
- along a bumpy road (not over speed bumps, but mostly on uneven surface),
- when I'm accelerating/deccelerating.
It's a metallic sound which you can hear in the video I post (ca. 20, 28, 37, 42 seconds).
I've replaced my shock/strut inserts and strut bearings because they looked pretty bad and it didn't help - at first I thought it helped because for maybe 1 day I couldn't hear the sound - I was so happy! But then it came back the next day...
The suspension is alright, 3 mechanics checked it and said they don't know where the sound is coming from :/
Anyone knows what could that be?

youtu.be/Am1xZashihY

Thanks for reading, would be glad for any help
K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you tried lifting the car and check the stabilizer rod link, tie rod and rack end?

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 Civic Si transmission/clutch squeal/whining noise

Hi all,

just found this great thread, and would love to find the solution to this noise i've been having in my Civic. I tried to add a video, but it won't let me. However, you can find it on Youtube under #K3MkS-vg2ac.

Problem: 2007 Civic Si squealing/whining noise with clutch disengaged (pedal out). Noise disappears when clutch is pressed in. Squeal/whine noticeable at idle, and seems proportional to RPMs, peaking around 2500 RPM, at which point there is a noticeable vibration when sitting in neutral. Above 2500 the vibration and sound seems to subsist. Fully or even slightly pressing in on clutch pedal seems to eliminate the noise. This seems to happen on a cold start, and subsides shortly on warmup, though it's starting to last longer now.

Background: I have ~211k miles on my car now. I've had the car since about 60k miles (bought in 2010), and as far as I know, it's all original stock with original clutch, tranny, etc. I did change out the transmission fluid in 12/15 (175k mi.-used Honda fluid), and also changed out the clutch and brake fluids in 7/16 (182k mi). I do recall also the gears sticking a little/hard shifting in August of this year (8/17-205k), and I performed a clutch adjustment according to info and the associated links I found on the forum. That seemed to solve the hard shifting problem, and all seemed fine for a while.

The noise has just started in the last few months to a year. Sorry, but I can't remember exactly when because it started out as a pretty slight, very brief noise only on cold starts on colder mornings, and I mostly ignored it. I would say it started in the Spring maybe. Unfortunately, I can't say for sure if this noise began before or after the clutch adjustment I mentioned earlier, but I don't remember a correlation, and I'm pretty sure I would have noted that if it was the case. Originally it used to do it only when colder outside, and only on cold starts, and would last only a few seconds on startup before stopping. Lately it's gotten worse, and is doing it most times when I crank the car, and is making the noise for a longer period of time before stopping. I replaced the serpentine/accessory belt, since the old one looked a little cracked anyhow, and I thought this might be the cause. I tried to inspect the pulleys when changing the belt too (for sure the idler and tensioner pulleys), and they seemed to be fine from visual inspection.

The car still makes the noise after changing the belt. It's possible changing the belt made it even louder. I did take a quick video, and I also noticed that the noise goes away when the clutch is engaged (pushed down), and comes back when the clutch is released (pedal up). It does make the noise at idle, and with the car in neutral- it's just dependent on the clutch position. I'll try to attach a zipped video if I can figure out how to do that (it kept getting rejected). It will also make the noise when starting out, at least in first and second gears. It used to fade away pretty quickly, so by the time I hit 3rd gear it would have been gone. The noise would not come back after the car had been driven for a while. Just recently, it's been making the noise longer (and louder), and I did hear it happening in higher gears as well after listening for this.

I've been reading some stuff about clutch-dependent noises on Civics, and one possibility would seem to be the input shaft bearing (ISB). The videos I've seen of this seem to be a different noise though, so I'm not sure that's the problem. My noise started out more like the OP's video here, from what I can tell. I was hoping one of the experienced posters here could help me out, and that I'm not looking at major transmission issues.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been trying to figure out this whine for a while and didnt want to just throw parts at it, looks like im replacing the idler and tensioner. Thanks for the vids!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why are you crying?

I tried replacing the serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley. Trying to figure out what else could be causing this noise.

It’s hard to tell, but I think the sound gets louder near the transmission. The sound goes away after everything is warmed up.

*Edit
11-May - The sound goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in. Other than a bad throw out bearing, what could the problem be?

141 - 157 of 157 Posts