8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what you guys think about this complete set i could be getting shortly. The reason its all kicker is because its all going to be 50% off, also i could only choose the items that we have at my work.

so heres the set up:

Front Speakers - 08ks650.2
Rear Speakers - 08ks650
Amp for speakers - 08dx200.4
Sub - 10cvr 12" (just one)
Sub Amp - 10dx1000.1

im just going to keep the stock deck for now, if you need to know which car its a 2006 civic ex coupe. I did ask this in another part of the forum but i notice i usually get a little more help from everyone here. Also what i just discovered is that i can't use my stock HU so is the only option buying a new HU?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Stock system not sounding good anymore??
I always thought that you needed an aftermarket deck or something if you're going to be putting in a sub and amp. If you were just changing speakers than maybe not. But if you're going to get a deck look at getting a double din then you get a nice screen, that and I think a single din looks weird in our cars.

Sorry I cant really help you determine whether those components are any good or not but I thought you could get anything with a discount?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, blunt and simple then, HOW will you get signal from the stock Head to the amps

do you plan to use an LOC?

do you plan to get a Mercman (or similar custom fabricated) harness to take the balanced differential amp outs from the stock HU?

or will you put in an aftermarket processor to take care of things integrated either before or after the factory amp

OR you can just pick up an aftermarket headunit, install it at the same time and not worry about any of the previously mentioned stuff

welcome to the world of the Civic premium audio system replacement/integration. . . when faced with the same dilema, I just got an aftermarket headunit and called it a day

thats what the guy said about it, so i got no idea if its right or wrong but if hes right then i might as well get a crappy HU for now and i'll just pick up a double din later on, even though i know it doesnt look as good in our cars which is why i wanted to keep the stock one in.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't be installing it myself I get 50% off installation at my work so that would be helpful if I wad, thanks though.

But you think I should be worried is my system not going to sound as good because I'm using the stick HU or should I just go buy a crappy one from my work?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Next time we have a meet you can check out my system... I'm running the stock deck right now (i'll prolly be goin Double DIN screen down the line) but after that nothings stock.

Fronts - JL ZR650 Components
Rears - Alpine Type S 6.5"
Subs - Kicker Comp 2x10
Amp #1 - Components - JL 300/4v2
Amp #2 - Subs - Kicker 400.1 (but am swapping over to JL 500/1v2)
Processing - JL Cleansweep

Basically you have a few options (i'm assuming you work at Visions, if you're getting Kicker stuff at 50% off right now) They did my install for me and it was fine... nothing special and honestly I kick myself for not doing it myself or getting BPG Tuning to do it in Richmond. They do great work and they're also on this forum.

Anyways, you can muck around with a LOC and just tap into your rear speaker audio if you'd like and send that to your amps etc. (remember to disconnect and remove the stock sub... you definetly won't like the results of both working)

I'd suggest dropping the bit of cash and getting the JL Cleansweep. You'll still be tapping in to the Stock HU but you'll be sending it into the Cleansweep and it will process the signal. It flattens any inherent eq'ing the stock HU does and on the sends out the proper line levels on the output side for your amps. It ends up sounding GREAT!

If you wanna think about it too I could even sell you my Kicker subs/amp and cleansweep for a good price and you could get your guys to do the rest of your setup. My stuff isn't forsale, persay but hey everything has a price and this would motivate me to finish my audio setup.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i got BPG Tuning to do mine & the install is 100% spot on,i asked for them to do the big 3..

connect the alternator to the rear red top battery in my truck so it can feed the alpine 700 watt mono amp proper driving duel boxed 12'' polk audio sub's,they ended up bolting down and making custom brackets for the battery too,of course,i'm happy with it..went with alpine type R speakers too,16 awg speaker wire to replace that OEM saving money junk speaker wire

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I'm still confused so I know I can use the stock HU but what is it that I need yo do or tell the installer to do because I'd go to bpg tuning but there probably going to be a lot more than if I got it done at my work because all services are 40% off for me

·
Registered
478 Posts
How much is a JL cleeansweep? I put down $1500 on my subs and amp 2 weeks before I sold my previous car. Havn't installed them in my civic yet. They've been sittin in my closet since Dec 08, subs are not even broken in yet..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so to keep the stock HU what do i need or have to get the installer to do??? which other wires do i need to get?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
you will need Amp kit(of Course), LOC to get signal from your HU, and remote power, do not let your installer use the CD or Audio Auto turn on. does not work properly, my friend bought all his Kicker from Visions and had it installed there, they drilled a hole on his fire wall(not a good thing) charged him $170 plus tax for the install. no remote wire turn on too that is why his system is acting up. the protection LED is always blinking.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry what's loc? Also I get around 50% off if I get it installed at my work so I'm probably goin to tell them what I want them to do if not I'll go to bgp

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
How much is a JL cleeansweep? I put down $1500 on my subs and amp 2 weeks before I sold my previous car. Havn't installed them in my civic yet. They've been sittin in my closet since Dec 08, subs are not even broken in yet..
Last I remember the cleansweep is in the $200 range. Take a look at it and weigh if you'd like to keep a stock factory looking dash or not. in retro spec I think I should have used that $200 right then towards a screen/aftermarket deck. meh, its not the first thing I've had to rebuy for the car lol.

so to keep the stock HU what do i need or have to get the installer to do??? which other wires do i need to get?
you will need Amp kit(of Course), LOC to get signal from your HU, and remote power, do not let your installer use the CD or Audio Auto turn on. does not work properly, my friend bought all his Kicker from Visions and had it installed there, they drilled a hole on his fire wall(not a good thing) charged him $170 plus tax for the install. no remote wire turn on too that is why his system is acting up. the protection LED is always blinking.
:yeahthat: I can't comment on the quality of work part of this quote as my install was okay but keep in mind that somepeople may not have.

Sorry what's loc? Also I get around 50% off if I get it installed at my work so I'm probably goin to tell them what I want them to do if not I'll go to bgp
The installers at your work should not need to be TOLD what needs to happen. If they're installing a system in a coworkers car they are surely going to take the time and effort to get you the best stuff in your car. I would have to hope at least. If you honestly think they need to be told exactly what to do maybe its not the best shop to be going to. If I were you i'd sit down with one or two of them on coffee/lunch break and talk about what you want out of your system and they should be able to draft up a good little system with options that you can pick choose from to meet your budget constraints.

A LOC is a line-out-converter. Laymans terms, it takes amplified signal, knocks it down to pre-amp levels and allows it to be amplified again.

Seriously tho man... the $500-1000 you are going to save on product/install is F-all in the long run. So, just because you get a discount or its on sale doesn't mean its the right choice. Get whatcha want and if its a lil out of your price range, save up for a few extra weeks and get it then. Meh, its just a suggestion tho.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whats the JL cleansweep?
and is the big 3 a battery or just like wires??

and im goin to sit down with the car installer and see what he says and then ask bpg tuning how much it would cost me there

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you mean by not using my cd audio auto turn on am I still going to be able to play regular cd's and turn on my things or what???

I think I'd rather try and save a little money on the install cuz it's goin to cost around $600 at bpg for the same price there's something else non car related I wanna pick up as well but if it cost like 500 to get it done at my work I might aswell just go to bpg.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
if he has no remote wire, how does the amp turn on? or are u saying they drilled a hole and ran the remote to the battery, causing the amp to be on 24/7??

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^ I'd rather pay just to get everything done by properly rather than pay the guy to fix my mistake lol, also I forgot to ask u think it's better I tell them to take the stock sub out or leave it in un-powered? Also where is the stick sub located anyways lol thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts