8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to test drive an FA5 today. Everything was great until I shifted into third and of course, I immediately noticed the common problem. Other than that the car was amazing. I am also looking at an 07 Impreza 2.5i because I am a Subaru driver now and I love them, but gas prices have got me looking at the civic. It is such a tough debate! Also in the picture, is a 2005 civic si. Is the tranny problem really enough to worry about to put the FA5 out of the list or not? What do you guys think? Will Honda deal with this? I need some help cause I can't sleep at night lol.

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
No, and mention the third gear issue now and get it resolved immediately, before you buy the car, so you still have some pull with the dealership. I believe they finally issued a TSB on this?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
people have been dealing with it for 10s of thousands of miles..its not that big of a deal..happens to me every once in a while esp on a cold motor/tranny....it only just pops back out basically and if your a somewhat skilled driver its not a big deal...just try to have it fixed asap...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
But what do you guys think between getting an 05 ep3 or the 2007 fa5??
FA5 > EP3

the EP3 didn't even have performance VTEC if I remember right.

the trans. problem is not a big deal, its mostly over-exaggerated because everything else in the car works fine.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I think I remember the EP3 having I-VTEC, since it shared the K20A3 with the RSX
yeah its i-vtec, but like the ^ says, its the boring version, you can maybe bring it to 7k rpm and you dont hear the crossover...i had one....fa5 all the way brotha.

however; the ep3 is fun to drive the only downfall for its design is how heavy it is

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
FA5 > EP3

the EP3 didn't even have performance VTEC if I remember right.

the trans. problem is not a big deal, its mostly over-exaggerated because everything else in the car works fine.
ok so... because my heat works means that the trans will be ok? :laughing:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bought a FA5 a two months ago and love it. Buy it and you won't be disappointed. I try to let the car warm up for a while before I drive and make sure you work through the gears before rollin out. It will decrease the number of occurances you have with the 3rd gear popout issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, its just really a tough choice for me cause the FA5 is brand new, but I cannot afford the si, so I will have the "barely faster than the flinstone's mobile motor" in it. lol. I so to make it clear it is an EX not an si. Becasue if it were between the two si's yes I would of course get the FA5 but the ex seems to be lacking in the performance department. How do they handle?? I live in the mountains so yeah, handling is what's important to me, not straight line speed or whatever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts