8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am trying to figure out what to buy 06 Civic Si, 06 Chevy Cobaly, 06 Saturn Ion Red Line or 06 Dodge Neon Srt-4. Based on what i heard 0-60 times are Civic Si- 6.9 Chevy and Saturn Mid 6's and Neon High 5's low 6's.
Anyone have any suggestions and/or any info on these cars?
Rob

·
Registered
436 Posts
is that all u r basing ur purchase? speed. reliability hands down should be the honda. the neon dead last. id do the GM twins 2nd. u cant get navi and such in any of those cars either. just look read this article in car and driver. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9845 Featured in This Comparo
Acura RSX Type-S
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
Dodge SRT4 ACR
Saturn Ion Red Line
Subaru Impreza WRX

rsx type s is a close brother to the SI. look which wins. read the whole art.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well im looking for mostly reliablity and speed. I have had a 04civic Ex for 2 years now and i want some thing faster then that, and something that will last I know neons are the worst car in the market but the SRT-4 seems to be the fastest one out there, I like the Ion but the gauges are wacked out, and the SS is cool cause it has the same body type as the 04 Civic front but both the Ion and SS are American cars, dont last as long and tend to loose their value fast, so that leaves the SI which seems as of now the slowest out of all of them but to the SS and Ion it is a very little difference and up to a second on the neon. But inside and out it is the nicest car there with the best features(Navigation) which i am interested in looking into. and also it isi a Foreign car which tends to last longer and keep a good value. The last thing that will probably push me over to a SI is cause i have a connection at a honda dealership can get any car i want any way i want whenever i want basically. So any other information such as 0-60 times and 1/4miles times and prices if they happened yet and any other info would be great,
Rob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Before you continue to consider a Neon go look at one on a used car lot that is 1-2 years old. After that you will without a doubt drop it from your list.

The ION Redline and Cobalt SS are essentially the same car. Drop the ricer wing and get some normal not-so-bling-bling wheels and the Cobalt will be plenty fast without the crazy dash layout of the ION. Of course the SI will most likely outlast them all but what else is new and it probably will satisfy 99.999% of anyone's speed need.

BTW, Navi is nice and all but if you don't take long trips to new places often then who cares.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The SRT-4 stopped production already, there isn't an 2006 version. Honda hands down, I myself have the option of a 350Z but the interior cant compare to the SI. The SI is nice and comfortable just test it out. Just say no to American cars unless your getting a truck in my opinion.

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
Soulkaiser said:
The SRT-4 stopped production already, there isn't an 2006 version. Honda hands down, I myself have the option of a 350Z but the interior cant compare to the SI. The SI is nice and comfortable just test it out. Just say no to American cars unless your getting a truck in my opinion.

hahaha.... so what is the official reason they stopped production of the SRT-4...

Anyway, how long do you plan on keeping the car, I mean you are getting rid of your current civc after what 2 years? If you only plan on keeping the next car for 2 or 3 years, the Cobalt SS isn't to bad. I've heard the Coblat has far better handling than the Redline. But the Honda will take both of them to school on the autoX. If you actually want to keep this car for say 10 years and 200,000 miles, Honda hands down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The official reason they stopped the SRT-4 is because Dodge canceled the SRT performance line. Something with SRT wasn't selling well or something, I read it in a Car and Driver during the summer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How I decided

Hello everyone,
I just bought the 2006 Civic EX sedan in galaxy grey metallic. Here's how I decided what to buy.

I decided what features/attributes I want in a car as follows:
- High MPG, must be in the top-ten MPG cars
- Reliability/quality, reputation of brand
- Four doors and seating for 5 (altough I rarely carry more than 1 or 2)
- Good value meaning I don't want to pay a lot for a luxury brand
- Required features include power windows/locks, keyless remote entry,
alloy wheels, ABS, fold-down rear seats and enough room to carry a bike
in the trunk, cruise control, alarm/security system (mainly for insurance
discount), four-wheel disc brakes. I like a sunroof/moonroof but that
wasn't absolutely required.
- Gray interior and silver or gray exterior
- Of course the exterior and interior design have to be appealing to me

Things I didn't want:
- Spoiler
- Tape/stripe on the sides
- Leather interior (my experience has been that leather needs too
much cleaning and conditioning and can wear and crack after a few years)
- High-performance - I'm not an aggressive driver

(I'm not disparaging the above accents/features but they are just
not right for me).

I decided against US domestic brands mostly because of fuel economy. There are no domestic models in the top-ten MPG list on cars.com. I decided against European because of cost and quality/reliability issues (based on personal experience).

Given the above, the cars I considered were the Toyota Corolla, Toyota Prius and after it arrived, the new Civic. The main knock on the Corolla is that it is close to a redesign although I still like the looks of the current model. Also, I don't really like the way Toyota packages the features on their cars. It's too hard to find one that has exactly what I want and doesn't have things I dont want. The Prius owners all report that they love the car but almost everyone also reports that the MPG is not as good as advertised. Some also say that running the A/C reduces the MPG by 10-12. Living in Texas, we run the A/C almost year-round. That makes the $4K different between the Prius and the Civic seem not worth it. Plus I personally like the looks of the Civic better.

I really like some of the extra features on the Civic EX like the ability to play MP3 and WMA CDs, the external temperature gauge, the portable music
player jack and the rear armrest.

So the Civic wins. My wife and I have each owned Hondas in the past and
have been pleased.
(Sorry this is so long :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i think im going to go with the Si due to the fact i like hondas, and the SI is fast and has potential to be FASTER with the right mods. Im looking to keep my new car for 2.5-4 years depending on if a new civic comes out before the time my Smart Buy is up. The only reason i am going to get rid of my civic so fast is cause i wanted something faster and in stick. I was also considering getting a 4 door car but i saw the cobalt and Civic and fell in love with them. ANyways i think im going to do the Civic SI.
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would pick the SI before anything else on your list if I didn't have any problems with cash. However, since I already have and like my 7th gen civic lx coupe. I'm probably gonna try to do a k20 swap on it and keep it for a few more years. Cheaper to go that route I think and it'll probably be comparable if not quicker than the new SI. My last 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well money is not a issue but i dont have the time to do a swap to my car and also i have a 04 Ex AUTOMATIC :( This is the main reason i am going to get the si, and i am just going to break my Smart-Buy Lease and get the si and i will only be paying like 50 bucks a month more for the car...so in the long run that way is better for me i am just waiting to hear about mods so i can try to push the car to like 250hp...
Rob-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts