8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure which topic thread I should post this in, but I figured posting it at the most viewed one works the best.

Basically, this "dirty patch" is on my rear windshield JUST near the trunk line. I have no idea what it is nor where it came from. I've tried almost everything to remove it but not one bit comes off. I haven't tried claybar, but I think that might solve it. It does look like paint of some sort, but it's not because it doesn't feel like anything and it can't be pried off at all. It's NOT from the inside. If it matters, the window is also 35% tinted. That's also why it probably shows a lot more because it's darker inside, thus the contrast. Anybody have these on their cars? Is it just me, or it's a known thing to happen?

My car is only under a year old, with 9500kms (6000miles). I also live in Toronto, so could it be caused from cold weather?

(and before you guys ask, that's my OEM brake light from the Si sedan spoiler. I have CTR wing on, so that's why I had to put it inside the car.)

UPDATE: It looks like some came off after I did the claybar/rubbing compound process. At least I think so? Anyway, I wonder if I continue to claybar the window, will it eventually come off completely? Thanks to everyone for their input!

·
Registered
130 Posts
if it's tinted it might be dirt caught between the tint and the glass.

If you can feel it on the inside, be careful not to rub or scratch at it too hard you might mess with the tint

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda have that on my TWfa5... mines actually a dirty black color though.. its hard to get off, i give up.. but it may be the dirty air and since thats not clear coated it sticks really well to the paint.. It wasnt there when i bought the car but over time it builds up..
it's not on ANY part of the car other than that strip near the trunk... it's so weird.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it's tinted it might be dirt caught between the tint and the glass.

If you can feel it on the inside, be careful not to rub or scratch at it too hard you might mess with the tint
it's definitely not from the inside. but that's a great observation.. it definitely can be in between the tint film and the window... hmmm?

·
Registered
130 Posts
it's definitely not from the inside. but that's a great observation.. it definitely can be in between the tint film and the window... hmmm?
you can try rolling the tint back and cleaning it out, but then you'd have to retint your rear window.

Idk what else you can do without messing with the tint film.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can try rolling the tint back and cleaning it out, but then you'd have to retint your rear window.

Idk what else you can do without messing with the tint film.
well i can consider re-tinting the whole car, but only if i've established that it's the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
may be a kind of hillbilly way to do it but i live in northern missouri so bear with me, if its on the outside try using gasoline or goof off, if its on the inside id go with a cleaning solution that wouldnt hurt your tint, could possibly be between your tint and teh glass too

1 - 20 of 62 Posts