8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopin to grab a set of nice lookin wheels soon and i've had my heart set specifically, on black ones with a red stripe around the lip. initially i was looking for 17s but came across the axis halos which i LOVE, but seem to only be available in 18" diameters... SOOOoOOoOOo i was just wondering who rocks 17s? 18s? 19s? do you think they're too big? too small? too hot? too cold? just right? lemme know!
thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Welcome man.. I rock 17' GP's and since they are the same as stock they look great. Personally, I think anything 17'-18' is perfect for the si but imo anything above 18' is to large. (that's just me though)

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I got 18's. To my amazement, with the 225/40/18 tires that I am running, my car rides infinitely better. Yes, infinitely better. A complet surprise as a shorter sidewall usually means a stiffer ride.

The advantage of a 17" wheel is that it will be lighter. I almost got Motegi Traklite's because they only weigh 14 pounds each. My 18's are about 19 pounds, still lighter than stock.

17's might give you a slight performance advantage, especially in drag racing. 18's will look more baller. Much depends upon how much money you want to spend and what kind of tires you want to run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool cool cool thanks guys.. i'm mostly lookin for cosmetic purposes... i just got my Si about 3-4 weeks ago and before that had a 99 cr-v so its plenty fast and stiff for me i just really wanna do some minor exterior mods to kind of make it my own
i appreciate all the input thoguh

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
For aesthetics, it depends on the wheel really. Some wheels look better with some meat on the tires. Also, wheel sizes actually change the proportions of the wheel design. Work Emotion CR Kai's for example look a lot better as 18s. In general, wheels with bigger lips look better with larger wheels. Wheels with spokes that extend to the end of the wheel look fine with 17"

From a performance perspective, 17" will be slightly better because of the reduced rotational inertia. There's a diminishing return in performance with smaller sidewalls.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
17x7 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1

17.5 pounds a wheel

·
Registered
665 Posts
18s here. i prefer 18s in general without question, but sometimes it just depends on the design like aki said. my 5Zigens for example look really big for 18s because of how the spokes extend to the very outer edges. in my case i think 17s could look just as good tbh (and theyre cheaper, and id be lower!). but for any wheel with a lip on it, i'd definitely go 18s.

*edit* pic

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
^^^Needs a drop Bill.:giggle:

Somebody was going to say it, it might as well be me. I know you're looking at the Buddy Clubs though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
17.8 O.Z Ultraleggera flat black

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
As a general rule of thumb I would look at what the Honda equiped your car with originally. For example the Si comes with 17 stock and an 18 option. Personally I wouldnt go with anything smaller or larger. Generally the 18 inch rims look better, but 17s can look mean as hell to. I decided to go with a 17 because I wanted to keep the stock diamiter. I upped the size of my rims on my last car and regreted it, so I decided to stay stock diamiter, with a wider rim and tire on my Si

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.