8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry ahead of time but I'm on mobile and have been looking for an hour. Somehow I got overspray all over my NHBP coupe. 2 weeks old to me.. I'm going to use an aggressive clay bar, I picked up a pc7424xp but I need to know what color pads to get to take out average swirl marks and whatever marks from the aggressive clay. Everyone has different answers but the one recommendation was 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black. I want to make this car look good and this is my first time using a da.
What color pads should I get? And how many of each? Looking at lc pads maybe 5.5 because I hear the PC isn't strong enough for 6.5?
Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Not all manufactures go by the same color scheme but I know for 3M pads white is for compounding and black is polish.

I recently compounded/polished my Taffeta white sedan. It had light swirl marks. I was able to get over 90% of them out. It is ridiculously shinny now. Out in the sun it hurts your eyes. :)

I used M205 with the black pad for the whole car expect for a few areas where I used M205 with the white pad. Yes you can use M205 with a cutting pad to get more cut than M205 with a polishing pad.

I used a rotary BTW.

I finished it off with Collinite 845 wax.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, that sounds like you had great results, I don't know if other brands are similar in color/cutting. Thanks for the info!
Anyone else with info?

·
Registered
866 Posts
A great way to see if there are still swirls in the paint after polishing is to use the light on your phone. The LED light held up to the paint works awesome for seeing swirls.

There are detailing specific forums that should have the answers to what color pads to use when for a particular brand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's how I saw the overspray was with a light on my phone. The swirls were visible when I bought the car and they aren't anything crazy, cars an 06 with 23k on it so it hasn't seen much abuse, just afraid to use to aggressive of a pad for these horrible paints and mar it to death.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Pussiwillow
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing