8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for my 1st oil change and was wondering what you guys are using for filters. I'm going to let Honda do the 1st change and the dealer said I could bring my own oil. I'm probably going to go with Mobile 1 since the dealer themselves told me they use a generic oil and it was nothing special. SO how about the oil filter. I see K&N makes an oil filter for our civics. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
:popcorn:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ That for my changes.

OEM whenever I go to the dealer for my 'flush' service. ;) It does not stay on there long.
What? Do you have them change your oil and then you change it again yourself. Funny I was actually considering doing that myself. Have the oil change on record and then do my own premium oil change. Kind of expensive but I can afford it. Is it really worth having the dealer do it. Will your car be worth more at trade or sale with the dealer recording the oil changes?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
What? Do you have them change your oil and then you change it again yourself...Will your car be worth more at trade or sale with the dealer recording the oil changes
Yes. I am making up for someone else's carbon footprint ;)

To the 2nd part: I doubt it. It is for 'records', but also for my completely unnatural inclination to experiment with things.

Alternately, The Dark Side could be creating an opportunity for a plethora of indignant responses.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Amsoil EAO13 FTW!

Expensive, but can't beat it in filtration. 100% syn media, not a cellulose/syn blend like the other high-end filters (M1, K&N, etc.).

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honda filter ...FTW!!!
This is my problem with letting the Honda dealer do the change with their filter and oil. My dealer charges 25 bucks for an oil change. DIY oil change with a good synthetic and quality filter is about 40 bucks depending on where you shop. That's parts only no labor obviously since your doing it yourself.

40.00 DIY vs 25.00 parts and labor @ the dealer. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that Honda is not using top quality oil and filter or a top notch tech to do the change for that matter. Not that DIY'rs are A techs but you get my drift.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Im not even sure if thats marketing or if it really does better.
:waiting:
Buy one, use it, and cut it open. You will see for yourself.

Also, there are some guys over on Bobistheoilguy who did some particle testing and the Amsoil EA filters came out on top. It's not marketing, it's the real thing.

Brian

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.