8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Mobil1 in my Jeep since it was new, it uses no oil between changes and the engine head when viewed through the oil fill cap is shiney clean as when it was new.
I want to use Mobil1 (5w-20) in my new Civic as well.
I usually drive my cars for 300,000 plus miles, go up to the maximum recomended oil change mileage and like the cold weather easy starting that synthetic oil offers.
What say you guys?:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mobil 1 comes in 5W20 that the car calls for.

Personally, I would wait untill around the 15k mark to start using synthetic. That way everything gets properly broken in and all instead of prolonging that period. Also, even though this doesnt apply on our cars being new and all, you dont want to start synthetic on a car with a good bit of time and miles on it, like a few years and 35-40k for example, as that would be asking for leaks.

One last point that comes to mind with synthetic is change intervals. Unless you run the engine EXTREMELY hard, I'd go twice the mileage on synthetic vs conventional, like AT LEAST 5k-7k mi between changes, a little more with an interem filter change. Driving a car normally and changing synthetic every 3k like conventional is a waste of time and money.

·
Banned
325 Posts
5w-20 Amsoil.

And Synthetic is fine after the first change.

I also recommend, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1

·
Registered
143 Posts
06Ex said:
5w-20 Amsoil.

I like amsoil myself.

This is my first Honda though. I havent figured out how anal they are with the correlation between warranty work and routine maintenance done. Some makes dont even care, but with a nissan I had, they wanted to see that maintenance and intervals was done to the letter before accepting any warranty work. If Honda isnt as anal, I'll probably start sythetic @ 15k with 7500mi intervals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why not use Mobil 10W-30 synthectic blend if your just a normal driver. i know it is not what the car calls for but in my opinion Honda recommends 5w-20 to get better test results.

·
Registered
143 Posts
jet1206 said:
Why not use Mobil 10W-30 synthectic blend if your just a normal driver. i know it is not what the car calls for but in my opinion Honda recommends 5w-20 to get better test results.

It's just a little thicker cold. Even if it was enough difference to really matter at extreme temps, it's nothing you would have to worry about in SE TX. You would be fine.

One of the biggest reasons manufacturers are moving to a lower wieght oil is it eeks out a point or 2 in the MPG aspect, not so much that the engine absolutely needs it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have heard in other forums that 5w-20 does not protect the engine like 10w30 does. I know until recent yrs that almost all cars used 10w-30. Why the change?

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
jet1206 said:
I have heard in other forums that 5w-20 does not protect the engine like 10w30 does. I know until recent yrs that almost all cars used 10w-30. Why the change?

That's BS. 5w20 is a better protectant, it is a thinner oil and is easier to "splash" and lubercate. Where 5w20 falls short is in the cooling department, 10w30 can take more heat away from the engine (aka as a high heat capacity) than 5w20, but agian we are not driving F1 cars here and I am sure Honda has taken proper steps to ensure proper cooling.

Anyway, think of it this way, you over heated and need to cool down fast. You have a hose that shoots out water (we'll say this is the 5w20) and a hose that shoots out molasses (that's 10w30) (yeah, it's a bit extreme, but it gets the point across). Now beside the fact that molasses is a pain to clean up, which one do you think is going to cool you faster? You have the one that is constantly running off you and being replaced with new cold water, or the molasses that is slowly dripping down and only covers part of you to chose from. Of course the water will.

Not to mention in a normal civic engine the lubrication of the lower pistons and what not are based on splashing the oil onto the piston. So, going back to my example, which one (water or molasses) would you rather use to "splash"? Personally I would rather use water.

·
1,630 Posts
jet1206 said:

How cold is when you normally start your car?

·
1,630 Posts
06Ex said:
5w-20 Amsoil.

Royal Purple is not a good oil for the general consumer. Royal Purple was designed for race engines that have a life of about 500-1000 miles between rebuilds. As a result, the oil is one of the best oils untill you hit about 3000 miles. Check any oil forum that has oil analysis results posted, you will see the TBN of Royal Purple drops VERY fast compared to any other synthetic.

As for using synthetic for your first change, that is fine. The factory oil is synthetic and the OEM Honda oil is a blend, so I don't see why not?

And changing to synthetic after using dino oil is fine. That is an old folk tale from the 70's. The reason that came about was because in the 70's dino oil did not have addatives hence carbon and sludge build up happened all the time. Many seals and gaskets where litterally held together by carbon deposites, so when people in 70's went form these types of oils to oils that have anti-sludge and carbon suspension oils, suddenly all the carbon got removed and the crakcs in the seals where exposed. Then this myth came about that if you switch form dino to synthetic you blow every seal and gasket in your car. Today however, every oil has these addatives, so when you're headgasket forms a leak, it leaks and doesn't have this carbon crap as a band-aid.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
My question is this...
Since the Civic's CPU monitors the oil change intervals by a percentage (mine is at 90% right now), would the CPU adjust the interval if you switched to Synth? Meaning would the CPU "know" that you switched to syth and lengthen the interval time.

·
1,630 Posts
DumbasSi said:
My question is this...
Since the Civic's CPU monitors the oil change intervals by a percentage (mine is at 90% right now), would the CPU adjust the interval if you switched to Synth? Meaning would the CPU "know" that you switched to syth and lengthen the interval time.

My understanding is that the oil indicator knows nothing about the oil, just how much it has been used and how hard it has been used. SO if you use anything other than the overpriced Honda oil, it will be incorrect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you know that the factory fill is synthetic in our Civics?
How do you know that the after market brand Honda oil is a blend?

·
Registered
2 Posts
5wXX is most important

The 5w rating on Oil is the most important part of the oil rating for cold start lubrication in modern engines. 5w20 or 5w30 is fine. I know of a Honda dealer that uses 5w30 on their regular Honda oil changes.

·
1,630 Posts
robck said:
How do you know that the factory fill is synthetic in our Civics?
How do you know that the after market brand Honda oil is a blend?

I don't know what they use from the factory,I just know the factory oil has a high moly count. I know the Honda OEM oil from the dealer is a blend because I've analysized it, the particle distbution is way to unifrom to be pure dino, plus you can call Honda and ask them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts