8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
this is actually something i wouldn't reply with "use the search button". there is a sticky that addresses handling/suspension in general, but there is none (that i can remember from my earlier searches) that compares the different elements of the suspension.

maybe someone knows a good link outside the 8th that goes over this?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
well in general terms Mono-tube dampers are better than Twin-tubes, they generally respond better to the road and attributed impurities, this is because they have the large diameter pistons compared to the smaller twin-tubes. . . they also dissipate heat alot better than twin-tubes. . .

I found this a while back about this sort of thing
Dampers Tuning Guide- Sport Compact Car Magazine
the twin-tube stuff is on that page the link to part 6 goes into the mono-tubes

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
7 kg/mm (f) 9 kg/mm Rear Spring rates

like what does this mean?
There are different types of springs.

Linear and Progressive.

They are both measured either how much weight it takes to compress the spring a certain distance. Usually lbs/in or kg/mm. Example; 200 lbs/in, well it takes 200 lbs to compress that spring 1 inch. To convert back and forth from english to metric (kilograms/millimter [kg/mm]) multiply or divide the number by 55.9974146 accordingly, depending the one you start with.

4kg/mm spring x 55.9974146 = ~223.99lbs/in

200lb/in spring / 55.9974146 = ~3.57kg/mm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.