8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for being such a noob, but if I recall correctly, the Skunk 2 Catback is one of the loudest available for our cars. What makes this catback so loud? Is it the muffler itself?

I currently have the Vibrant Gen II Catback and while I admit it does sound great, I would like it to be louder (said no one ever :laughing:). What would be the best option for me to increase the sound level besides a racing header? Would it sound odd if I welded on a skunk 2 or different muffler on the Vibrant's piping?

Thanks for your time and any replies! :wavey:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The muffler itself "muffles" most of the noise. You can get a little more noise by removing the resonator or installing a test pipe. In general, the muffler will dictate the sound the car produces.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The muffler itself "muffles" most of the noise. You can get a little more noise by removing the resonator or installing a test pipe. In general, the muffler will dictate the sound the car produces.
This is true for the most part, but listen to any car with the stock exhaust before removing the cat,then after. Big difference

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs guys! I live in California :thumbsdown:, so I'm not really looking to install a test pipe or removing my resonator.

Hmm, so i could keep my vibrant piping and just weld on a new muffler and it could sound significantly different? Does the resonator dictate a lot of the sound? I like my Vibrant's deep tone. Was thinking of welding on an Invidia N1 or Skunk 2 muffler.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Skunk2 Mega Power R exhaust, before I did anything else this system was loud. I then installed the K-Tuned Header, along with a Vibrant HFC It sounds great!

The muffler I believe is what makes the difference, the large opening is what produces the noise.

The Skunk2 muffler has a rattle which drives me nuts on the street, they were going to replace it, but it meant sending it back to them! So I live with it, car is mostly track driven though; so not a lot of street driving.

If you want to piss your neighbours off buy a Skunk2 Mega Power R or buy the muffler and fit it to your existing exhaust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ExcelerateRep, that's a killer price on the N1. I'll definitely have to think about selling my vibrant and purchasing the full N1 system since it's a 70mm also.

@Lifeguy, Hmm so the skunk 2 really is super loud haha thanks for the reply! Though I wish someone had a sound clip of the skunk 2 on vibrant's resonator since I'm hesitant to weld on just the muffler without hearing it first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts