8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of 4 and well.... have been debating if I should put them on my car or not. I am really just going for suspension and cosmetic stuff on my car and I do not really tend to drag race my car anytime at all. Mostly I want my car to go around and take a turn with little to no effort or body lean at all. :laughing::box:

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Pointless unless the diameter is larger than OEM along with bigger calipers and pads.

Not really.. depends on your application... I plan to take mine to the track and looking for 13" or 13.5" rotors from rotella (4 caliper) with race brakes that should stop fine.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
Not really.. depends on your application... I plan to take mine to the track and looking for 13" or 13.5" rotors from rotella (4 caliper) with race brakes that should stop fine.
i agree it can depend, but i'd rather put money elsewhere unless you're building a race car. He said himself he's just going for cosmetics.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I am really looking for suspension stuff. Like I really want to get an inch drop and looking for the best ride. so i been offered springs or coil overs... the debate goes on. and I heard an lx sway bar in the front and a si sway bar in the bar bottom really will do well.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These have one size bigger then the other. but I bought these as an impulse buy and was not really thinking of what I was buying before I bought them so I am selling them

·
Registered
514 Posts
Any other thoughts on this? I have OEM size cross drilled & slotted from Centric on my CRX!

Do OEM size cross drilled & slotted rotors perform or do they not? Post other threads please.....

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Slotted rotors can assist in outgassing your pads under heavy braking. They can also help slightly in shedding water and debris.

Cross drilled rotors can help outgas your pads and cool the rotors. However even high quality drilled rotors generally shouldn't be used on the track as the drilled holes are susceptible to cracking. Low quality drilled rotors could crack during normal driving.

Between the two if you want the rotors for performance reasons you should probably opt for slotted.

The quality of the rotor is important in regard to how well it resists the stress of high temperatures and how well it cools itself. The higher performance pads you choose and the harder you are on your brakes, the higher the stress on your rotors. Low quality rotors can warp or worse from high temperatures.

There are several quality oem replacements to choose from. They theoretically will resist high temperatures better than the stock rotors.

Edmunds has a good article about what happens when you take the stock rotors and pads to the track. Long-Term Road Tests - Civic Si shreds the track and its brakes

As far as the part about embarrassing M3's, that I can't endorse...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Slotted rotors can assist in outgassing your pads under heavy braking. They can also help slightly in shedding water and debris.

Cross drilled rotors can help outgas your pads and cool the rotors. However even high quality drilled rotors generally shouldn't be used on the track as the drilled holes are susceptible to cracking. Low quality drilled rotors could crack during normal driving.

Between the two if you want the rotors for performance reasons you should probably opt for slotted.

The quality of the rotor is important in regard to how well it resists the stress of high temperatures and how well it cools itself. The higher performance pads you choose and the harder you are on your brakes, the higher the stress on your rotors. Low quality rotors can warp or worse from high temperatures.

There are several quality oem replacements to choose from. They theoretically will resist high temperatures better than the stock rotors.

Edmunds has a good article about what happens when you take the stock rotors and pads to the track. Long-Term Road Tests - Civic Si shreds the track and its brakes

As far as the part about embarrassing M3's, that I can't endorse...
So with that said...now....I guess my question would be...do OEM size cross drilled & slotted outperform stock OEM rotors?

Well those can endorse it! LOL

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
daym did not know how much thought went into these thngs ;\ I bought them on a whim or an impulse buy and little did I relize what kinda world or can of worms i was opening up

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any cross drilled or slotted is better then factory, the question is when are they better then factory. If you are running up to the store to get bread, they are not going to be better then factory. If you are going through some s-turns on a back road, where you are heating them up and need to get them cooled, then yes. Same goes at the track and for the brake pads you are using. My preference for the street is EBC's slotted dimple drilled, has a good look and function.

·
Registered
16 Posts
cross drilled rotors, from my understanding, are only beneficial for heavy track use. Large drilled/slotted rotors for DD use is overkill. Infact, drilled and slotted rotors can cuase u to lose stopping distance if not paired with a proper setup. a track setup for a daily driven car is overkill and becomes a nuesance for the daily driver car(brake dust). But some good fluid, s.s. lines, and some nice pads and you should be far better off from stock.
-steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts