8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what is going on.

I know my car doesn't have the 3rd gear issue, as it's a late 2008 that is supposedly built after they fixed the issue. (Of course, I grind 3rd from tiem to time and don't know why ...)

But lately I'm having an issue with second when I 1-2 shift at redline. About 25% of the time, it just GRINDS. A horrible, awful grind sound while my foot is still holding the clutch.

I'm afraid I'm killing my 2nd gear. I'm afraid to vtec in first any more because of it. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
there is a thread in the DIY section about adjusting your clutch travel. supposedly it fixes this problem. for the occasional third gear grind you can just put some decent MTF in there and you should be ok.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check that out. I wonder if it's something I can safely do myself ... I'm not much of a mechanic ... at all.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
I don't know what is going on.

I know my car doesn't have the 3rd gear issue, as it's a late 2008 that is supposedly built after they fixed the issue. (Of course, I grind 3rd from tiem to time and don't know why ...)

But lately I'm having an issue with second when I 1-2 shift at redline. About 25% of the time, it just GRINDS. A horrible, awful grind sound while my foot is still holding the clutch.

I'm afraid I'm killing my 2nd gear. I'm afraid to vtec in first any more because of it. Has anyone else experienced this?
i lol'd @ the bolded part.

ALL 08s have the problem.

And yes, I find 2nd will grind if shifted into at over 6k.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Honestly, it happens to like 99% of us. Our transmissions kinda suck... well the clutch is okay. You don't have to 'baby' it persay, just shift a little bit slower and the synchros should handle it... and make sure the clutch is 100% to the floor. I know you have the clutch all the way in but sometimes it's a combination of all of these things and our sh!tty transmittions.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I will check that out. I wonder if it's something I can safely do myself ... I'm not much of a mechanic ... at all.
I read through the DIY a few weeks ago and it didn't seem too bad, but my 08 doesn't have the second gear problem so I didn't really look into it any further. what they're saying is that even with the clutch pedal all the way in, the clutch itself still needs to go a little further and that's why it happens, especially at high RPM's when you're really working the synchros. mine used to grind third maybe once every few weeks, but I put amsoil MTF in it and it hasn't done it one time since (~10k miles ago).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most of us are forced to deal with this issue, i was able to figure out that if i push the clutch in all the way and gently shift into 2nd it goes in fine. It worked for me, you just haved to be gentle with it and dont force it so much. Theres not a worse feeling than grinding 2nd at 8200rpm, good luck with the DIY.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Most of us are forced to deal with this issue, i was able to figure out that if i push the clutch in all the way and gently shift into 2nd it goes in fine. It worked for me, you just haved to be gentle with it and dont force it so much. Theres not a worse feeling than grinding 2nd at 8200rpm, good luck with the DIY.
I red-line and bang through all my gears 1-5 and it never grinds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I red-line and bang through all my gears 1-5 and it never grinds.
So because you never grind there's nothing wrong?

OP and Phil, I feel your pain. 1-2 at 8k+ can be a rough shift. You've really gotta let the synchros have some time to work before the clutch comes up.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
When I bought my 07 Si I ground 3rd gear every day, and second once or twice a week. Intermittently, when I'd shift at redline out of first and into second my car would really jerk. The shift was really hard and unpleasant.

After reading on this forum about the TSB on the 3rd gear issue, I took my car into my local dealership and, through a long and ridiculous process, got my 3rd gear replaced. That repair was a month or two ago, and I have not had any grind in any gear since. New transmission fluid (Honda OEM fluid, since the dealership wouldn't put Royal Purple in on a warranty repair) has helped quite a bit. If your 3rd gear grinds at all, take it in to Honda and make a stink. In my case I had to eventually show the Honda tech how my car was grinding for the dealership to agree to the repair.

How many miles on your car?

·
Registered
785 Posts
So because you never grind there's nothing wrong?

OP and Phil, I feel your pain. 1-2 at 8k+ can be a rough shift. You've really gotta let the synchros have some time to work before the clutch comes up.
Obviously theres nothing wrong with my car since thats never happened to me once in the yr and a half I had it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think he meant in general: "So because you never grind there's nothing wrong with the aforementioned generation of civic transmissions?"
Exactly. If the transmission is up to your expectations then great. For a lot of people, it is not. No, not everyone's transmission is fuxxed. Nor is everyone's perfect. But this transmission has it's quirks, it is problematic for those that drive the car hard, and MANY people do have issues with it. I do not powershift my car. It has 10k miles on it. And yet I know that if I don't adapt my driving style to suit the subpar transmission, I will be due for further issues and repair costs down the line. Frankly it sucks because I love the car otherwise, and I even love the stupid transmission when the gear selector falls into place smoothly.

I seriously have been looking into swapping some carbon synchros in some day to replace the brass ones. I expect it will be cost prohibitive to do so, however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
09+ SI transmission grinds

this has been the worst honda ive owned. ive had a 95 civic ex and a 2000 accord with cl type s motor and 6 speed transmission. my March of 2009 SI grinds in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse and it has happened since day one of owning the vehicle. sometimes i get the high RPM grind going into second but then it will grind and not go in at all until i go into another gear first and that happens under 6K, yes even before Vtec kicks in. ive had the same problems on my cls accord and eventually i destroyed 3rd and blew the blocking ring for reverse. i am currently rebuilding the transmission myself. honda tells me it is normal for it to grind because you are not suppose to shift spirited. bullsh!t. the worst is that i can drive the car around and get everything warmed up and pulling into a parking space and then selecting reverse it grinds. now i have my foot on the brake and the e-brake is on the prevent the car from moving and it still grinds. honda said that the RPMs must be below 1000 RPMs before selecting reverse but i can sit there bouncing off the limiter and i can select reverse no problem. honda needs to address this problem and so far in the past 15 months of taking it back and after 18k miles there is still no fix because they can not duplicate it, eventhough the service advisor got it to happen right in front of me and he said it was not normal but at the end of the visit he said there is nothing wrong and nothing they could do. so now im forced to go back next week and drive with the service manager. oh boy. has any other 09+ SI have these grinding issues or is it just my car.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Had this 1-2 grinding issue early in my Si's life (@ around 6k). Redlining first and shifting to 2nd would almost always grind. Slowing down the shift helped but hated doing it.

So, I swapped the fluid to Amsoil MTF and got TWM's full replacement shifter and have not grinded once since. Now @ 15k. Consider at least changing the fluid. Our transmissions do kinda suck but like everyone said, if you baby it, it'll work fine.

2009 btw

·
Registered
846 Posts
i have a 2009 and it grinds from just daily shifting (3k-4.5k) at least i think it's grinding.

it's like the syncro's are spinning and the shifting is just moving in.

almost like the feeling of a stripped screw going into the hole.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts