8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to purchase a gps system, looking to spend at least $1,000 on it.. if you guys know any decent ones let me know.. i already checked out the CoolNavi but if u can find one better i will rep

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't have to spend that much on a navi unless you want one built into the dash. It all depends on what you really want or need. Do you go on road trips often? How often will you be riding in your friend's cars? Do you need to worry about hiding your navi because of the neighborhood you live in? Do you need a navi that plays music and holds pictures? It's all up to you. Personally, I think a cheap Tom Tom or Garmin will do the job but other may have different opinions.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
You don't have to spend that much on a navi unless you want one built into the dash. It all depends on what you really want or need. Do you go on road trips often? How often will you be riding in your friend's cars? Do you need to worry about hiding your navi because of the neighborhood you live in? Do you need a navi that plays music and holds pictures? It's all up to you. Personally, I think a cheap Tom Tom or Garmin will do the job but other may have different opinions.
Exactly!

Do you want just navigation?
Do you want videos? Expandibility? Usb? SD? CF?
What size screen? Blue tooth?

You need to view what your needs are. Then from there you can narrow your options down.

For $1000 you can get almost anything.

Some other options other than the Coolnavi would be the Navigon. It's a newer system that has real 3D, the software is also done by Navmate/Horizon. Startign price around $250 and up.

How about a pda with bluetooth and a bluetooth gps reciever? that option will run you around $300 - $600 . Nokia has an awesome little pda touchscreen with blue tooth and more for about $250. Nokia N800 NSeries Internet Tablet 0276316 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

There are a lot of options, let us knwo what you are looking for in a Navi unit, and I am sure a lot of members will be able to help you out in getting something you will truely enjoy.

options like traffic and others sometimes carry a monthly usage charge too, map updates also cost $$$ anywhere from $100 and up depending on the unit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for not being speicific but heres what i would like in my gps system:

Video/Audio,DVD,MP3,(Most of the major formats)
Large Screen (7" or close to it)
Bluetooth
Voice Recognition
Touch Screen
Mountable (No in-dash)
Photos (optional)
USB Port
AV PORTS (For Reverse camara if i plan on getting one in the future)
Voice Help (Make turn in 500ft etc...)
Remote

**Coolnavi700 has features such as Audio/Video,Large 7" LCD screen, Mountable, Photos, USB, AV Ports
If you find all these features above along with Bluetooth, Voice recognition/voice help, remote, then i can make up my mind..Money is not a worry just as long as i get these features

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
**Coolnavi700 has features such as Audio/Video,Large 7" LCD screen, Mountable, Photos, USB, AV Ports
If you find all these features above along with Bluetooth, Voice recognition/voice help, remote, then i can make up my mind..Money is not a worry just as long as i get these features
The closest is the coolnavi 700. (There are a lot of 7" navi's over seas, in Korea.) The thinking there is a little different than here.

Thinkware kicks out 7-inch i-navi ES 100 navigator - Engadget

Nav7 20GB 7'' Wide Touchscreen GPS Navigation System & MP3 Navi NAV7 NAV7

There is the coolnavi 850 and other models too.

Over here in North America the trend has been small units that navigate, the features of having video, music and other stuff isn't catching on here as much as over seas. (PND) Personal Navigation Device, which the Coolnavi is, and others offer way more than the typical and abundant Tom Tom and Garmin.

It will take some time to find something with 7" screen and ALL those features.

This would be the ultimate navi system:
Press Release : PIONEER CORPORATION

*still looking for ya*

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate ur help leo, That Nav7 20GB 7" one is looking reallly good except it doesnt have the bluetooth, av ports, or the reverse camara port but other than that it basically has everything im looking for...by the way whats the coolnavi 850? is it available in the us?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think im just going to settle with the Garmin Autopilot 7500 or 7200 or the CoolNavi 700
If the Garmin is a mountable like the coolnavi ima just go with that... By the way does the coolnavi 700 have voice recognition or voice help with routes like turn in 500 ft ...what about av ports to hook up camaras? didnt specify anything on their websites and i know u owned one so if anyone knew it'd be you :D.. thx

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e-electrical-security-navigation/54948-7-navi.html

It has Two video inputs.
Voice prompting, yes. No voice recognition, touch screen is very nice, so is the remote.
I still own one. It's a modded version of the original... woot!

Check that link out.
Eclipse is nice too. (it's indash isn't it?(

I think im just going to settle with the Garmin Autopilot 7500 or 7200 or the CoolNavi 700
If the Garmin is a mountable like the coolnavi ima just go with that... By the way does the coolnavi 700 have voice recognition or voice help with routes like turn in 500 ft ...what about av ports to hook up camaras? didnt specify anything on their websites and i know u owned one so if anyone knew it'd be you :D.. thx

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats it ive made up my mind, im moving to Korea.. lol jk ... after checking out ur thread im leaning towards the coolnavi.. wish they had that 850 here in the US.. i cant wait for it so i might just get the 700.. lets see how Garmin is looking

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I just got a garmin 250 a little while ago. If navigation is all that you need, its perfect. And i got it for less then $200.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts