8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
Wow, what a broad question. I'm looking for one myself. Well, it all depends what you want. I'm NOT an audiophile and like features and bang for your buck. I'm currently looking at an Android head unit. My OEM NAV didn't come with bluetooth and as you can imagine, pretty worthless. If going this way, stick with Seicane, Dasaita units. There are TONS out there, but most of them have terrible customer service. The ones I mention seem to be good. Some of them have wireless apply-play and android-auto. hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
What do you think about Pioneer AVH series? I have seen that they have incredible head units.
No doubt Pioneer makes a great HU, but:

1) I'm not an audiophile. I think the stock radio sounds fine. This is highly subjective of course. The Pioneer will no doubt give you best audio. The Android HUs I've heard sounds just fine (to me).
2) I'm no fan of the Pioneer's interface. It can not be customized. An Android HU can be customized, additionally, you can add apps to it. If you can add apps to a Pioneer, I'm unaware of it. Would be cool.
3) Cost. Typically, A fully loaded Pioneer (depending on which model) is going to cost you big money. An Android, even with all the bells and whistles shouldn't be more $500.

What's slowing me from getting one is the reliability and what model to choose from. Lots of owners complaints in general, but I believe a lot of it is dealing with a reputable company. Another thing is that I HATE not having volume knobs, but most of the better ones just have a screen. There are many style radios (large screen with no knobs/OEM looking units, Tesla-style screens, etc ) to choose from, but from companies I've never heard of.

Mat, if you go with a Pioneer, I think you can't go wrong. If go with an Android HU, have patience and know what you are getting into. I love having the capability to customize it, it is like having your smartphone in your dash. I plan on getting (when I finally decide on one) the following features;
1) Android and CarPlay (wife has an iphone)
2) input and outputs to the DVD headrest I have in back (i have kids)
3) TPMS (my cars are more than 10 years old)
4) ODB II app to oversea what is happening to my car
5) Front and rear camera capability
6) TV tuner, LOL, just because.
7) Tethering to my phone for internet is icing on the cake, probably a feature I won't use. (like using youtube, google, etc).

If Pioneer offers these features, I'd love to see it, honestly. I recently drove a friends 2019 Acura MDX and couldn't stand the Android auto in it, it kept disconnecting and apparently it is a common problem with them. Haven't heard much from aftermarket radios doing that, but I could be wrong. If I hear of Android Auto/Car Play being a problem with Android HUs, then that could be deal breaker.

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
Also, One of the reasons i went back to my Stock radio, is the Steering wheel volume controls, I had forgotten how useful it was.
I couldn't stand having to bullseye the volume button on the touch screen.
And also the SVC.
If thats something you use, remember to add that to the list. I'm not sure if you can wire that to your aftermarket.
Almost all Android radios give you the ability to use your factory steering wheel controls. In fact, they allow you to customize their functions. Very neat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.