8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
Wow, what a broad question. I'm looking for one myself. Well, it all depends what you want. I'm NOT an audiophile and like features and bang for your buck. I'm currently looking at an Android head unit. My OEM NAV didn't come with bluetooth and as you can imagine, pretty worthless. If going this way, stick with Seicane, Dasaita units. There are TONS out there, but most of them have terrible customer service. The ones I mention seem to be good. Some of them have wireless apply-play and android-auto. hope this helps

·
Registered
264 Posts
Whatever you do.. be careful not to downgrade.
I also wanted Bluetooth in my car and got a 150$ stereo from Walmart. Soon enough I learned that that would never replace the quality sound the OEM Clarion stereo Honda has. So I put it back and just bought a bluetooth device for 15 bucks.
( Idk maybe because our cars have Factory amplifier)

Just make sure you get yourself a quality stereo if you ever replace it.👌🏻

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, what a broad question. I'm looking for one myself. Well, it all depends what you want. I'm NOT an audiophile and like features and bang for your buck. I'm currently looking at an Android head unit. My OEM NAV didn't come with bluetooth and as you can imagine, pretty worthless. If going this way, stick with Seicane, Dasaita units. There are TONS out there, but most of them have terrible customer service. The ones I mention seem to be good. Some of them have wireless apply-play and android-auto. hope this helps
What do you think about Pioneer AVH series? I have seen that they have incredible head units.

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
What do you think about Pioneer AVH series? I have seen that they have incredible head units.
No doubt Pioneer makes a great HU, but:

1) I'm not an audiophile. I think the stock radio sounds fine. This is highly subjective of course. The Pioneer will no doubt give you best audio. The Android HUs I've heard sounds just fine (to me).
2) I'm no fan of the Pioneer's interface. It can not be customized. An Android HU can be customized, additionally, you can add apps to it. If you can add apps to a Pioneer, I'm unaware of it. Would be cool.
3) Cost. Typically, A fully loaded Pioneer (depending on which model) is going to cost you big money. An Android, even with all the bells and whistles shouldn't be more $500.

What's slowing me from getting one is the reliability and what model to choose from. Lots of owners complaints in general, but I believe a lot of it is dealing with a reputable company. Another thing is that I HATE not having volume knobs, but most of the better ones just have a screen. There are many style radios (large screen with no knobs/OEM looking units, Tesla-style screens, etc ) to choose from, but from companies I've never heard of.

Mat, if you go with a Pioneer, I think you can't go wrong. If go with an Android HU, have patience and know what you are getting into. I love having the capability to customize it, it is like having your smartphone in your dash. I plan on getting (when I finally decide on one) the following features;
1) Android and CarPlay (wife has an iphone)
2) input and outputs to the DVD headrest I have in back (i have kids)
3) TPMS (my cars are more than 10 years old)
4) ODB II app to oversea what is happening to my car
5) Front and rear camera capability
6) TV tuner, LOL, just because.
7) Tethering to my phone for internet is icing on the cake, probably a feature I won't use. (like using youtube, google, etc).

If Pioneer offers these features, I'd love to see it, honestly. I recently drove a friends 2019 Acura MDX and couldn't stand the Android auto in it, it kept disconnecting and apparently it is a common problem with them. Haven't heard much from aftermarket radios doing that, but I could be wrong. If I hear of Android Auto/Car Play being a problem with Android HUs, then that could be deal breaker.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also, One of the reasons i went back to my Stock radio, is the Steering wheel volume controls, I had forgotten how useful it was.
I couldn't stand having to bullseye the volume button on the touch screen.
And also the SVC.
If thats something you use, remember to add that to the list. I'm not sure if you can wire that to your aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
Also, One of the reasons i went back to my Stock radio, is the Steering wheel volume controls, I had forgotten how useful it was.
I couldn't stand having to bullseye the volume button on the touch screen.
And also the SVC.
If thats something you use, remember to add that to the list. I'm not sure if you can wire that to your aftermarket.
Almost all Android radios give you the ability to use your factory steering wheel controls. In fact, they allow you to customize their functions. Very neat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with this one and I'm happy,,, it's plug and play, but I had to de-pin two wires and move them and there is information about which two needs to be done,,, if you are ok with solder do it yourself,,, or pay a guy get a friend

and use this for install help

·
Registered
2010 Civic Si Sedan 68K miles
63 Posts
My other car has a 4500nex wireless carplay pioneer. I used imaestro and all steering wheel controls work

My 10 si has oem nav and bluetooth. I am going to upgrade to pioneer car play. I use the nav a lot - and thus want a modern one

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in need of best car stereo. Anyone want to sale? OR any recommendations?
Hey guys. You should really check these out. Very affordable and very functional, and same price/cheaper than many units you can buy in an electronics store. I have a similar one to the first link below. Basically go to aliexpress and search for 'honda civic navigation'. They have been available for a few years now.

These just came out and I plan to update mine to this when they come down in price - I think they will come down in price in 6 months or so. (go to aliexpress and search for 'navigation android honda civic tesla style'). They were $750 2 weeks ago, now i see for $600 with climate control buttons, and the 3rd link is for $360 (not sure if climate control is available).

if you go with one of these new ones, be careful notice the a/c controls are removed/moved because of the size of the screen - some units like in the first link below add the buttons to the side. Other units, it is not clear if you can control the a/c on the screen or if a/c function is lost - should to confirm with the seller first.

** picture shows the a/c controls on the screen, but i did not see confirmation in the description regarding climate control

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in need of best car stereo. Anyone want to sale? OR any recommendations?
Kenwood and Alpine make some of the best, most dependable stereos/decks /receivers. As well as the other parts of a car audio system. Sony jvc and pioneer are decent as well. For budget units boss audio gives you alot for not too much money. Best Buy is having black Friday sale going on now with some really good prices on all kinds of gear. Frys electronics has good prices too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the Atoto SA102 for $199 on Amazon. It has a high def screen, steering wheel control wire hook up, apple/android play, screen mirror, amp preouts, back up cam plug. I really like Alpine and Pioneer but they are lagging behind in features in that price range.

If you buy a head unit with a steering wheel control wire, will not need to buy a steering wheel adapter! Here is how to wire the small plug (with premium sound no nav): Brown(AUX S GRD) - Ground ANY, Other Brown(Audio Remote GRN) - Ground on RCA Head Unit Plug, Yellow - Aux RCA Left, Green - Aux RCA Right, Pink - Steering Wheel + on HU (you only need to hook up 1 of them, all buttons will work), Light Blue - to Amp remote turn on from Head Unit (for factory amp), Grey - Don't use, Blue - Don't use, White - Don't use.

FYI - I tried hooking it up with the speaker wires vs the rca's, use the low level rca's otherwise you'll be sending to much power to your factory amp creating a loud hissing sound even at low volume. Additionally, I also tried bypassing the amp entirely, it honestly sounds the exact same on deck power. Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.