8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:xyxnervoui've been researching about cams for our car. still new to car parts. From what i seen on other thread is that tsx is more aggressive but not to the extent of skunk and brian crower. how do you read the stats of the cams to tell if it is more aggressive. on the brian crower web site it compares the jdm k20 cams, k24 cams, and all the stages' cams. i have no idea what all the numbers means. it very random to me. the adv. dur, dur @.50, lift?:xyxnervou

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what the specs on our cams are so I can't tell the differences between the TSX cams and ours.

Anyhow...Camshafts Explained

Lift
Lift refers to maximum valve lift. This is how much the valve is "lifted" off its seat at the cam lobe's highest point. The intake and exhaust valves need to be open to let air/fuel in and exhaust out of the cylinders. Generally, opening the valves quicker and further will increase engine output. Increasing valve lift, without increasing duration, can yield more power without much change to the nature of the power curve. However, an increase in valve lift almost always is accompanied by an increase in duration. This is because ramps are limited in their shape which is directly related to the type of lifters being used, such as flat or roller.

Duration
Duration is the angle in crankshaft degrees that the valve stays off its seat during the lifting cycle of the cam lobe. Increasing duration keeps the valve open longer, and can increase high-rpm power. Doing so increases the RPM range that the engine produces power. By increasing duration without a change in lobe separation angle will result in increased valve overlap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.