8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Simple Green is good as an OTC, but be careful about spraying it on aluminum parts, it may corrode. Some other good degreasers you can get from autogeek.net or chemicalguys.com. Their Grime Reaper is great stuff.

I usually just cover the alternator, distributor (being super careful haha) and any exposed air filter and spray down the cool engine bay.

Be sure to also dress up the rubber hoses and and plastics as well. 303 Aerospace is good stuff and has many uses for exterior and interior.

303 Aerospace Protectant - 16 oz | Detailed Image

I just started using Chemical Guys Black on Black, very easy to use and the protectant has stayed strong after 3 weeks (forgot to buff off and it's still laying on the rubber hoses)

Chemical Guys Black on Black - 11 oz | Detailed Image

·
Registered
31 Posts
Engine Bay

I've done several engine bay details and have had very good results. There are some simple precautionary steps to take. I would cover the alternator with a plastic bag and secure with rubber bands, also do the same with an exposed air filter. I also use aluminum foil to cover/wrap any plugs/wires/connectors I find necessary. I use a product called Chemical Guys Grime Reaper and dilute down to the desired concentration. For the rubber hoses and plastic pieces I really like Chemical Guys Black on Black and 303 Aerospace Protectant. There is a really good write up on detailedimage.com. Here is the link:

Engine Bay Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image

I use them for all my detailing products. Check them out.

Edit: I just read the post above mine. I second what he just said. Very good products.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
When I have dirty engine bays come in for details this is what I do..

Cover up the MAF/Alt and electrical components, using Megs APC+ I spray the engine bay, wait for a bit, get the scrub brush in some areas and scrub it down really well, get the hose, and spray the engine bay..start the car up and while that's going on, using my shop vac, I get areas that are "major water" let the engine bay dry up, check for more areas of dirt..using 303 Protectant to get that OEM gloss look and I'm done.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
For our cars at least, do you guys recommend covering up the ecu or maf? What about the filter of a cai that is down near the wheel well?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, I wouldn't use a pressure washer or direct a strong stream of water into or near electrical components. I usually use the mist or shower setting on the hose nozzle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is what I use and works like a champ ! I spray it on everything , let it sit while I wash the car and then spray it off with a pressure washer. Even though it says not to use a pressure washer , I do anyways , with no issues . They only downside to using one is it doesn't leave much of the " SHINE " .

2 IN 1 ENGINE SHINE

Degreaser & shine
Cleans, degreases, and shines in one easy step
Safe for all engine parts - no wrapping is required
No high pressure sprayer required

1. For best results, use on warm engine.
2. With the engine off, spray over entire engine. Also use on fenders, cowlings and under the hood.
3. For tough stains and grease, use a brush or rag.
4. Allow the product to stand for 15 minutes.
5. Rinse engine compartment using a light flow of water. Use as little water as possible. Do not spray in air intake, on carburetor, or on exposed wiring.
6. Run engine for 10 minutes or until components are dry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will recommend you to get a spray degreaser it will work best for you . Spray degreasers are easy to use and they also get cleaned up easily so you should get it . I have been using Rx spray degreaser for last 10 years

21 - 37 of 37 Posts