8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing some serious cleaning to my Type S's engine this weekend and I'm just curious as to what product would be a great cleaner?

·
Registered
847 Posts
You can always buy an aggressive engine cleaner from your local parts store but be careful since it can damage softer components like rubber and what not. A lot of detailers actually use wd-40 a paint brush and a sponge.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I used to use simple green all the time on my ek. I have to be honest I have not yet cleaned ny engine bay on my 06 but it should work just fine. I loved the way it came out after using that stuff. My mechanic that did my swap in that car used to use a bottle with wd-40 and water mixed. He would spray down the whole bay and then use an air compressor to blow it all off. I must say that was always my favorite..shined like crazy. But with it being wd-40 if there is any left over in the bay then dirt would stick to it like crazy.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Degreaser and a power washer then hit it with some shiney crap and good to go. That's what we do at the Mercedes and BMW dealership I work at

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have read so many mixed reviews about power washing under the hood. Who has done it and do u leave ur car on when u wash it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've used Griot's Garage Engine cleaner, and I would say it was relatively good at breaking up and removing oil/grease. It's a pretty gentle cleaner, so you could use it generously (and it's biodegradable, so I guess you could eat it too).

This being said, it doesn't bring any "life" back into the non-metal pieces under the hood. And, you have to scrub the ares which you spray, so it's also not great for getting into the nooks and crannies. I'm interested in hearing what everyone else uses.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've used Griot's Garage Engine cleaner, and I would say it was relatively good at breaking up and removing oil/grease. It's a pretty gentle cleaner, so you could use it generously (and it's biodegradable, so I guess you could eat it too).

This being said, it doesn't bring any "life" back into the non-metal pieces under the hood. And, you have to scrub the ares which you spray, so it's also not great for getting into the nooks and crannies. I'm interested in hearing what everyone else uses.
I guess you can eat what I'm using right now then, it's the simple green from Target. An all-around cleaner... label says it's made of plant stuff. Hehe...

·
UNIQUE MODZ
3,254 Posts
dont use a power washer,it forces water into to many things that dont need water,electrical components and seals use a slow running water hose to rince

·
Registered
433 Posts
my first attempt at cleaning the engine bay after 5 years... used simple green from target just spraying and wiping it down repeatedly. Are there any areas i should avoid???

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I use purple power decreaser, plus I have an air tool that siphons and blows compressed air, it was $6. Then I rinse with a hose.

Never use cold water on a hot engine otherwise it can crack. Leave the car off for a while. Don't spray the battery positive, fuse box, or alternator. Tire gel or aerospace 303 do a nice job after it's clean.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My coworker was a Honda technician.
He said he would spray down the engine compartment with Simple Green, let it sit for a minute, then pressure wash it off with the engine running. He said it worked amazing.
However, after reading this thread maybe i'll try to use compressed air and a low pressure garden hose.

·
Registered
794 Posts
+ 1 for simple green. my engine bay was VERY DIRTY from the harsh winters of boston but spray down with the entire bottle. let sit for 5-10 mins and lighty use the water hose and lookin GOOD. couldn't believe how clean it got

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
You don't need to cover anything i use GUNK engine degreaser i spray down anything with heavy grease build up.

Like the manifold,sides of the engine bay or any area with grease or gunk build up.

Coat and let it sit for about 5 minutes then turn the car on and power wash everything off. You can cover the battery or sri filter if needed but Ive never done anything of that and have had no issues for years now.

I only do this once a year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have pressure washed hundreds of engine bays after spraying degreaser the only thing i have ever covered is an exposed air filter. Never had issues besides a belt squeal on initial start up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When you guys use the simple green from the spray bottle do you dilute it with water or do you just use it straight out of the bottle?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts