8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My inlaws and I went into the Mt.Hood area last weekend. We stayed two days in a 3 bedroom cabin for $250 a day. We took the 4WD Suburban but I saw a few Civics, but mostly pickups and SUVs. I so wanted to be driving my Si instead! Honda recommends the "Z-chain" which is a simple economical design. I also saw a "Spikes-spider" for the first time but they want almost $400 for the set of 2.
Is there anyone with some experience using chains with our Si in the snow and ice? Any recommendations?

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,973 Posts
I call Mr. Plow:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Live in the south.

j/k 15" steel rims with true snow tires is what they are probably using along with proper driving style. Using 2nd gear to take off instead of 1st. A FWD car with true snow tires will do better than a 4x4 SUV with street tires.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Buy some good tires if you live in snowy areas... and use your brain most of all... AWD/4WD will not save you if you are an idiot. I will miss AWD the one icey day we get down here this year... not because I depended on it, but because I won't be able to "play" in a parking lot :(

·
Premium Member
142,110 Posts
Live in the south.

j/k 15" steel rims with true snow tires is what they are probably using along with proper driving style. Using 2nd gear to take off instead of 1st. A FWD car with true snow tires will do better than a 4x4 SUV with street tires.
15" rims don't fit on the Si, due to the large front calipers.

I'm running a set of 16" steelies with Michelin X-Ice tires, and that seems to help quite a bit.

I still start off in 1st, I just short shift to second if traction really sucks... and even to third sometimes.

·
Premium Member
142,110 Posts
well hubcaps will just give the snow even more of an opportunity to get caked up and freeze to your rim, unbalancing your rim and causing nasty shakes on the road.

I don't know what else we can do about having them exposed.. I agree it's not the most pleasant thing to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.