8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Unless I'm on a San Fransisco type hill (none in south Texas) I park it in neutral. Back home in the Appalacians I park it in first if the nose is up R if it's down. Way back in my newbie stick driver days, I had to chase a few cars. :D hee hee hee.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i leave it in first on a hill. Either direction. If the car is off, it wont roll down hill with the car in first. I always pull the E brake and let off the foot brake, then put the car into first and turn it off. I don't know if that affect anything, but i feel safer knowing the car is rested purely on the E brake, and the tranny is just a back up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe the manual says that one should actually leave it in reverse! I usually leave it in first always, alongwith the e/h-brake. If you are parked facing downhill, reverse is the right way to go and accordingly opposite for facing uphill. The wheels must be turned into the kerb appropriately in either case.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
i was taught to leave it in the opposite direction if the car were to move.. ie 1st for uphill and r for downhill.. i always make sure the ebrake is holding before i put it in gear..

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
First Gear, Ebrake, turn ur wheels.. =)

down hill, turn ur wheels to the right..

up hill, turn ur wheels to the left

WALAAAAAAAaa

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
First gear if it's an uphill.
Reverse if it's a downhill.
First if it's on a flat.

Think resistance..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts