8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for mileage sake, i am wondering if its better to cruise 40 mph in fourth gear or fifth gear. the manual says shift into fifth at 43. but im still not sure. fourth gear just seems to rev too high for me. thanks guys. please don't joke.

·
Registered
959 Posts
for mileage sake, i am wondering if its better to cruise 40 mph in fourth gear or fifth gear. the manual says shift into fifth at 43. but im still not sure. fourth gear just seems to rev too high for me. thanks guys. please don't joke.
if you want to save gas, you can cruise in 6th gear. Thats what i do. During the summer, i get 29-30.5mpg. During winter, it drops to 27mpg. I shift between 3-3.5k rpms. But when i need it....:vtec::vtec:

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
If your going for MPG your last gear is always best as long as your over ~ 1500 RPM.

The manual gives you shift points. Like if you were going from 0-60 you should shift at those MPH listed in the manual.

In the Si i'v done some tests and i know someones gonna hop in and say your bogging the engine but before they do i did a test, 35 MPH in 4th 5th and 6th gears and 6th gave me the most MPG.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
i coast in any gear that i can run between 2500-3000 in, like at 60-70kph i run in 6th...

no power but low revs, i just doen shift to 3rd if i need some get up and go

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
i try to coast in the highest gear possible. to save gas. but when i'm in a rush, i like to coast near 6000rpm, LOL, but thats not coasting.
HOLLLLY GEEBUSSS, and what kind of milage do you get from driving around at 6k??? lol

i cant stand the jerkyness and whine of the car at anything over 4k unless under load, like accelerating, thats fine :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it doing any harm if you coast down to about 15-20 mph in 5th gear (non-si) say if you exiting the highway to the end of the off ramp? I have been doing that lately to minimize the wear on the clutch from shifting through all the gears or just riding to the stop.

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
Is it doing any harm if you coast down to about 15-20 mph in 5th gear (non-si) say if you exiting the highway to the end of the off ramp? I have been doing that lately to minimize the wear on the clutch from shifting through all the gears or just riding to the stop.
nope...I leave mine in gear until I reach about 1500 then shift to neutral if I'm stopping

I've also heard that it's better to put the car in neutral and let the clutch out whenever you are at a stop for longer than a few seconds in traffic.
true...less wear and tear on the throw-out bearing

·
Registered
350 Posts
nope...I leave mine in gear until I reach about 1500 then shift to neutral if I'm stopping

true...less wear and tear on the throw-out bearing
Wait. So if Im at a stop and in neutral its better to have my foot on the clutch than to not have it depressed? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I believe the spec in the manual is for acceleration. The speeds they say to shift at would give a good compromise between quick accel and MPG. If you are "coasting" at 40MPH meaning no longer accelerating, just maintaining speed, you would probably be best in 6th (Si) or 5th (non-Si).

As far as leaving it in gear when stopping. If I have to stop I simply leave the car in whatever gear I was in at that point and goast down in gear until the RPMs get around 1000 or so then shift to neutral.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
90% of the time its best to pick the highest gear.

10% of the time it's better to choose a lower gear. Example the speedlimit is 55mph, it's hot so the AC is on, and your going to be climbing a long steep grade hill. Top gear in the 8th gen is really really tall so it's best to down shift.

-
I know that in my old Honda Insight - I could get great MPG in 3rd or 4th gear over 5th gear when climbing a tall hill.

The best way to tell is if you own a ScanGaugeII. It can show instant MPG.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Does the ScanGaugeII REALLY WORK? Is it hard to install?

My father just bought a 08 CRV EX-L, and they come with a "MPG ESTIMATE", that thing keeps jumping from 20 - 60mpg.. Doesn't look too accurate..
How can the ScanGaugeII be compared with the 08 CRV system?
Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.