8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the thing, I'm going to do my first oil change on my Si (coupe) and I need help or a GOOD-CORRECT way to change my oil on these cars as I'm always seeing so many different posts on DIY oil changes on the FG2.

I have 2 Questions that I can think of as of right now, the rest of my Q's will come after a few posts as I can't think of any other than the 2 I have.

#1. Does MOBIL make an OIL FILTER for the FG2 (Si).

#2. JUST EXACTLY HOW MANY QUARTS OF OIL DO SI's TAKE!!!?.

I've musta read SO MANY different ways or ideas on changing the oil on the FG2!. How come there are so many confusing opinions on this subject!?.

Oh yeah, I just remembered another question.

#3. Exactly how high does the oil level have to read on the FG2's dipstick?. I know you have to let it run for about 2 to 3 minutes after putting the minimum amount of oil quarts but where should this dipstick's oil level be when it comes the the 2 dots that are on it? the bottom dot, middle level-(between the 2 dots) or the top dot of the dipstick?.

·
Registered
953 Posts
All those questions are gone over in the manual. The size of the oil filter depends on the maker of it. Different makers name sizes differently so you just have to look it up.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^yeah, I used to get Mobil's oil filter for my 2002 civic Ex. It was M1-110. I thought that I read somewhere on this forum about DIY oil changes that someone said that Mobil DOES make an oil filter for the FG2's. I'm hoping that this is correct?, cause I'd LOVE to use Mobil's oil filter for my FG2 when I end up filling it up with Mobil's Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mobil does make an oil filter for the FG2s. i believe it is the M1-110. but i'd double check. go to autozone or checker and they can tell you. personally though, i went with the honda oem filter, i heard its a tad bit better.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mobil does make an oil filter for the FG2s. i believe it is the M1-110. but i'd double check. go to autozone or checker and they can tell you. personally though, i went with the honda oem filter, i heard its a tad bit better.
^ cool!, the M1-110 is the same model numbered oil filter that I was using on my 2002 Civic Ex. Are you SURE that, thats the RIGHT oil filter for the FG2's. I would've thought that the oil filter for the Si's are more BIGGER in size than the M1-110 that I was using for my 02 Ex....I gotta check this out. And how is the OEM Oil filter better than the Mobil oil filter?.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm alittle confused about exactly how much oil to put in my Si coupe cause I was reading in the Si's manual that came with the car and I was looking at the engine oil + oil filter maint page and ofcourse it says 4.6 Quarts but wouldn't that be considered UNDER filled?. I've read alot of people with the Si's are just buying those BIG 5 Quart jugs and pouring the WHOLE THING in the engine bringing it up JUST RIGHT. And on the other hand, i've read also that alot of people are going as far as 5.5 Quarts of oil in there Si's. which one is it!!!? 4.6Q , 5Q , or 5.5Q's?. i'm just a regular daily driver that doesn't hit Vtec at all. Infact, i have NEVER hit Vtec before yet with my car. I have 40% oil life with 3,100 miles or so on it right now. I've had it for 5-1/2 months so far. Can someone help me better to understand this issue?. I know that these threads are MANY and ALOT but this is my own thread for this stuff cause i'm going to get ready pretty soon to do my FIRST own oil change for my Si and I need to come to an understanding here.

OH YEAH: I went to Pepboys today and asked the man at the parts counter to look up an oil filter for a 2007 Civic Si and made sure he was looking up "MOBILE" and he SURE ENOUGH came up with M1-110 model # Mobil oil filter. I'm feeling pretty good about this cause I'm use to using those particular oil filters from my last Civic and it's a GREAT oil filter!.

I also was looking at other Oil filters and was kinda considering buying a K&N oil filter also but I didn't see one for my car. I guess K&N doesn't make an oil filter for the 06-07 Si's.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Yes, Mobil makes an oil filter for the Si...I have 3 sitting here. Start with the amount of oil recommended in the manual...if you are still low (which I'm 99% sure you will be) add a bit more (say 1/4 of a quart), then drive some more, let it sit for 5 min, repeat...

Also, you WILL need an oil filter wrench. The Si's oil filter is in the most idiotic location ever. You will also make one hell of a mess due to the location...

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cool^, yeah I found out that Mobil's oil filter for the 06-07 Si is STILL M1-110. Which is GREAT! cause those oil filters are AWSOME!.

So you think that I'm going to end up needing about a good full 5 Qt tub of oil then?. I DO plan on draining the HELL outa that engine when I do change my oil. I know that if I drain it for a longass time and it's not dripping anymore, that I should have a good reading and a fresh start to see whats happening as far as the oil level goes. I seen that the new M1-110 oil filters are black now. When I was using that filter for my 2002 Ex, It was grey with green lettering and markings. It's black now. Hey, 10 or 11 dollars is worth the money for those Mobil oil filters IMO. So is their oil.

you're 99% sure huh?. wouldn't it be a BAD thing if I had to add more oil than is required?. I mean, it's not right if you have to add more when the manual for the car says 4.6 . I think it's 4.5 but that extra OZ is for the oil filter to saturate with. Eh, I dunno.

Oh yeah, I know where the oil filter is. I've seen pictures and video's and have found it myself by looking underneath my car on the right side front tire. I'ma try to turn the wheel all the way LEFT so I can make the space bigger to fit my hands in there. I'm planning on using those mechanic's gloves that have the rubber palms on them so that way I can GRIP the hell outa that filter. If not, I've already bought that oil filter socket for the M1-110 oil filter from when I used to use it for my 2002 Ex. Thats another reason why I'm stoked cause everything's the same size and I can STILL use the same tools. I AM going to HOPE TO GOD that I can use the glove with the rubber palm to grip it with instead of the socket set. I'll have to wait and see. I'm just doing my homework right now on people's opinion's and stuff. Helps me come to some kinda "justified" idea.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Johnold said:
Cool^, yeah I found out that Mobil's oil filter for the 06-07 Si is STILL M1-110. Which is GREAT! cause those oil filters are AWSOME!.

So you think that I'm going to end up needing about a good full 5 Qt tub of oil then?. I DO plan on draining the HELL outa that engine when I do change my oil. I know that if I drain it for a longass time and it's not dripping anymore, that I should have a good reading and a fresh start to see whats happening as far as the oil level goes. I seen that the new M1-110 oil filters are black now. When I was using that filter for my 2002 Ex, It was grey with green lettering and markings. It's black now. Hey, 10 or 11 dollars is worth the money for those Mobil oil filters IMO. So is their oil.

you're 99% sure huh?. wouldn't it be a BAD thing if I had to add more oil than is required?. I mean, it's not right if you have to add more when the manual for the car says 4.6 . I think it's 4.5 but that extra OZ is for the oil filter to saturate with. Eh, I dunno.

If you overfill you can damage the engine. That's why you add what is recommended, check, add, repeat (in small intervals). This is what you do with any car. The manual says to add X because there will always be variations. For example: One person may let it drain for 5 min and another for 2 days...some oil filters may hold more (I'm assuming here), etc...so to be safe they give you a slightly low number...

I think mine usually takes a little over 5 quarts...

Oh BTW hit that motherf*ckin' vtec!

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright cool!. I'm hoping that this "4.6" oil level will be just right. I don't care if it's not to the top level hole on the dipstick as long as it's in the middle or anywhere between those 2 dots. How come YOUR Si took more than 4.6 Qt's?.

.....LOL, I DO need to hit that damn Vtec don't I?. I wanna get this first oil change going first but I have to wait a bit longer. It's saying 40% oil life with 3,130 or so miles on it. It looks like i'ma be one of those guys that has his first oil change at 15% oil life of 4,300 or 4.500 miles. Maybe even sooner.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
You always want to get a proper reading after your car has reached its operating temperatures and cooled off for maybe 5 minutes. CaliGuy's way is basically making you do this, but I thought I would dish that out.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats true. MAN I can't wait till I get to change my oil in my Si!!!.

I can't wait to feel that smoothness and great response.

I have to take care of that damn ding I have on the trunk lid though. I can't believe that happened to me. I hope I NEVER catch the person or THING that did that to my baby's trunk!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here is the way I did mine:

You will need to lay everything out
-One 5 qt jug from you choice of oil (I used Mobile 1 Full Syn.)
-One oil filter (I used Purolator L14610)
-One crush washer (I reused mine after assessing it)
-One 17mm box wrench
-Ratchet wrench with swivel extension
-Hydraulic jack/stands (I used a heavy duty spare wheel jack from a SUV)
-9 qt capacity drain pan
-Shop towels for cleaning up
-Funnel
- Oil filter removal cup thingy (available at Wal-mart)

1. Drove the car around for a bit to increase the viscosity of the oil

2. Let motor cool. Park vehicle with E-brake set, wheel chock on rear tire.

3. If space/leverage permit, use box wrench to loosen drain plug. Do not remove yet.

4. Loosen Oil filter with the oil filter removal tool with ratchet and extension.

5. Jack up car at the proper place (there is an arrow pointing to it) Use a piece of wood if you do not want to scratch up the surface. Install stands.

6. Slide Oil pan under drain plug. Remove and the oil will come gushing out.

7. Remove oil filter manually, and use some clever way to catch the oil (Milk jug...etc. This is not necessary on the EX/LX models

8. I lower the jack back down to the point where the frame of the car barely touches the drain pan so that the oil will drip out completely (In theory).

9. While waiting, check air filter, radiator fluid, brake fluids, PS...etc.

10. clean up oil filter block with shop towel. Be sure to note that the old oil filter gasket is with the old oil filter.

11. Install new filter with a light coat of oil on the new gasket. I usually try to prefill the filter if the orientation permits. Hand tighten until the filter is seated, then additional 1/4 turn.

12. Reinstall oil drain plug, and tighten until snug.

13. Lower car back down and fill crank case with oil.

14. Fill car with 4 qts. Check drain plug to see if there are leaks.

15. Start up vehicle for a few minutes. Check under car for leaks. Shut off car. Let it stand for about 5 minutes. Check oil level. Add accordingly.

16 After a few heat cycles, double check the drain plug and filter for leaks, and make sure they are tight.

Enjoy your new found smoothness of your Honda. Knowing that not some half ass dumb fawk overtighten your filter on plug, and filled your car with cheap mystery bulk oil from a barrel.

Steps 1 through 15 only took me 25 minutes. I had to get my BF to help me loosen the drain plug and filter as Honda cranked them on there pretty good.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, I changed my oil yesterday (9-30-07) with 4100 miles on it at 15% oil life with 5 FULL Qts of Mobil 1 5w30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter M1-110 and it wasn't too bad I have to say!. The oil filter wasn't as bad for me as it is for most other people cause it came out pretty good!. It was a bit tight but it didn't fight me really, neither did the drain bolt. I used a new crush washer for the drain bolt eventhough the old one wasn't in bad looking shape but I wasn't going to take that chance. It took me like 2 or maybe 2.5 hours to do cause I let my old oil drain for a VERY long time. Plus it was windy and while the damn oil was draining, a gust of wind blew some oil all on my damn wheel and partly on my frame which I was pissed about cause I knew I was going to have to clean it up LOL. The oil filter part was a bit tricky to keep it a clean proccess cause of the extra oil that comes out when you take it off. I just used a plastic bag with NO HOLES on the bottom and put it around the oil filter really good after I had already loosend it up and unscrewed it as far as I could while not letting it fall in the bag yet, I let the oil drip and run down the oil filter untill it was done and then finished unscrewing the filter and let it fall in the bag and then grabbed the bag with the remaining oil and oil filter and threw it out. All in all it wasn't too bad and went alot better than I thought it would:thumb: . I thought while the car was up in the air jacked, that I'd take my drill with a drill bit and drill out those damn brake cooling vents and clean that area up nicely!, I don't like those plastic BCV things. They came off nicely with no problems from the drilling and it looks alot better under there. That was my day, thought i'd share:wavey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts