8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a stupid question, but may help newer and younger tuners like myself. From reading the earlier threads, it seems to be a big car meet in NC. From what I read it takes place on the highway like a big caravan on spirited roads. Then there's basically a big meet where everyone has a lot of fun. So- maybe past goers can elaborate on this and tell about everything you do there and what goes on. Seems like it'd be an awesome senior trip when I graduate in 2 years. Thanks, Derek.

·
Registered
861 Posts
its a mythical creature usually intertwined with stories of time in the medieval era.
you don't want to eff those :giggle:

on a serious note, its just a massive meet for civics i believe... theres a lot of twistys so you can test out your handling, also its basically just a really big planned out meet

·
Registered
448 Posts
The "dragon" is a portion of route 129 on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee. It's a curvy road in the mountains, with 318 curves in 11 miles of road that has little to no driveways making it a prime destination for sports car owners and motorcyclists who love to go and ride the dragon for a little bit of thrill seeking. Most of us do like to go fast, but there's a limit that we try to keep within to be somewhat responsible.

The 8th civic Tail of the Dragon meet is when a bunch of 8th civic members meetup at the dragon to hang out with like minded car enthusiasts. There's dinner, scenic drives around the area, drives of the dragon no doubt, billiards, etc. It's a lot of fun to drive down the road in a line of 30 Civics, a sight to see.. (check out last years photos thread!). There are even some imposters driving Subaru STIs or Mazdaspeed3s, or probably me this year... driving.. something .... different.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lots of motorcycles at "the dragon" so keep an eye out because some of them can get crazy. Also sometimes a semi gets stuck on this road even though it is suppose to be illegal for them to be on it which becomes a huge pain in the butt. I hear sometimes there is a cop for every mile of that road.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Cops always knew about the road, and I think it was fine last time we were there, I did see a few but that's the main tourist attraction there.. I didn't see them being too much of a pain

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
The best time to drive the road (by drive I mean :vtec:) is early in the week (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday) or at night. Early in the week you gotta worry about trucks though, although hopefully that should slow down soon.

As for the question "What is the dragon?", I will respond with two more questions

1) Do you like cool people?

2) Do you like drive on twisty mountain roads?

If you answered yes to these two questions, then the dragon is for you

·
Registered
793 Posts
Too bad it's on the east coast.

Too far of a drive for twisty fun.

Planning a north California trip with my girl.

Just for the drive haha, I found a long twisty road with banked turns, About an hour of it, perfect for our Si's, except we took an altima... This was before I got my fg2.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I dodged a family of black bears at night... I was like.. .wow those shadows are awfully large to be walking... wait

·
Registered
448 Posts
My first ever run on the dragon was a night. They had just gotten done clearing the sides of the road somewhat. We turned a corner in a large pack doing about 40 and my headlights just went out into space. Boom! **** my pants.
I'm sorry what happened here? lol

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
My first ever run on the dragon was a night. They had just gotten done clearing the sides of the road somewhat. We turned a corner in a large pack doing about 40 and my headlights just went out into space. Boom! **** my pants.
My first run down was at sunset, my first ride back up was dark. I said I was gonna take it easy for the first few times to get used to the road...that lasted no time at all

Tony fell asleep in the back seat on the way back up :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts