8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading over in the Hybrid mpg thread and one guy was recommending getting a free flowing exhaust and air intake to help boost mpg...the theory makes sense..let the engine breathe easier and it'll return better mpg..

continuing to theorize if you will...

i do a lot of highway driving.. almost 60 miles one way, then another 45-50 miles on back roads to get to work, when i work i drive about 105-110 miles each direction...with 60% hwy/40% city i have been averaging low 40's..i think that is good...but i would like to make it better if i could

with breathing in mind...i have seen Electric Cut-Out(exhaust dumps) on the internet and the thought crossed my mind, if used on the highway where torque wasn't an issue would it return better MPG? I would keep it closed around town where torque would be needed..

i know this would be loud..but it would allow you to have quiet exhaust and possibly better mpg at the flip of a switch

i don't want a performance exhaust system..i have a 4dr LX AT with hubcaps..i NEVER have the intention of racing the car..and i know my car is not fast...this would be solely for mpg

let's here what you guys/girls think

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well there's backpressure to consider with an exhaust. On the surface it sounds like it should be right, but there's lots of factors to consider. I think Honda designed the DX/LX/EX to be as high on MPG as possible. If a freer flowing exhaust would've helped, I think they would've put one on. They wanted that car to have the highest MPG rating possible, considering that a year after they came out with it, Toyota trumped them with 42mpg on the Bore-olla.

I don't think I've ever crossed 40mpg, not even on a 100% highway trip. . . .

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the best I've ever pulled off was 46.7mpg..that tank was 90-95% hwy..

i think that if honda wants to they could trump the rolla this next year..just like HP wars there is MPG wars going on too..which all ends up working out to the buyers advantage :)

thanks for the input

·
Registered
932 Posts
I disagree !!!

Honda is in business to make money and having said that, I think that they have a price selling point to deal with. I'm sure there are many ways they could improve the Civic's MPG, but they are not likely to cut their profit margin or increase the purchase price for a couple more MPG. Plus they are well within the EPA requirements that are imposed on manufactures. "Supply and Demand" is the name of the game and Honda is by far the leader in the business.....JMHO

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay- I wasn't saying that honda would change the price or dump a lot of technology to increase a couple mpg...heck they probably could re-tune the computer and get more which would be a simple software upgrade..my reply was just to the fact that the corolla on paper gets better mpg

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want to increase your MPG, start removing weight from the car. Take out the spare tire, for example, extra headrests.. anything you don't need. Of course a civic like car could get better mileage - they could make it 50% carbon fiber and probably take off a few hundred pounds. But that would be really expensive and have lots of other problems.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i just drove local i would have the spare out yesterday...but i drive 110 miles one way to work, so i can't take it out and just not worry about it...

i agree on the carbon fiber..would be rather expensive..

i try to keep as much weight out of the car as possible..but sometimes i have to bring home somewhere in the range of about 100lbs worth of equipment from work which i know doesn't help mpg..but i have to do it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts