8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Well as i was doing a bit of shopping around. I ran across a small dealer who is offering a used honda si 2006 for $14k. Yeah sounds weird right? Well the catch is that the car is a salvage. Yup. But the car look like new. No noticeable damage the paint and everything matches together. According to the guy it was rebuilt only from the front. That no real damage was done to the outside.

It looked great to my eye. I checked the rims and tires and they are the originals because they show some tare and ware. But not enough to notice a big accident. The bottom of the car is intact, but there is some residue of what looks like cement. The guy said it was the spill from the battery because it leek. That made me kind of nervous. Inside the hood everything seemed normal. No major discrepancies. He said he changed a couple of things on the car but nothing major. He said that the car was only damage from the front.

Well the car seemed nice and fit to me. The price is good and it can probably be lowered. I plan to keep the car for a long time. Is it worth is? How can i check if the car was severely damge? I tried carfax but it does not go into any specifics.
(http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a=p7qiXw1fXsXVl1UReDEsYLHd+v88CJr9kc- Cv7NNWuAtIcX5x2qyApnxkrGrCZjrf)
i hope the link works.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics

Here are the pics of the car. Maybe this will help you guys no what i'm talking about.

well let me know what you guys think ok

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
There is no way to tell what the car has gone through without tearing it apart. You could try Carfax, but I would stay away.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
i'm also looking into buying a salvaged 06+ si but i'm getting it straight from insurance company so that i can examin the damage before hand and see how bad it really is before being fixed....
I'd be nerves too if i was you, see if you can get someone from a good body shop/machanic to inspect it
ps the link doesn't work...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xvoltm2 said:
i'm also looking into buying a salvaged 06+ si but i'm getting it straight from insurance company so that i can examin the damage before hand and see how bad it really is before being fixed....
I'd be nerves too if i was you, see if you can get someone from a good body shop/machanic to inspect it
ps the link doesn't work...
Yeah the link should work. Try it again. Anyway carfax really doesn't explain the extend of the damage. the guys said he had receipts of what it is that he did. And what parts he changed and fixed. I didn't see them tho but i guess he might be whilling to show me. I might also be able to talk him down on the price maybe 13,500 or 13000.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ct_Sidan07 said:
Not worth it spend 6k more and get the real thing!!! SALVAGE=PROBLEMS DOWN THE LINE
Well is not spending 6k more. its spending almos twice around 15 more with the finance and everything so that is why i'm really considering this car. My local honda dealer said they'll check out the car for me and even put it on the scanner and give me their opinion for like a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xvoltm2 said:
check it out at the dealer and if everything checks out good then go for it
Yup that's wat i was thinking plus they offer extended warranty and all that good stuff even if its salvage. Question tho, what is the worse problems this car might give me in the future? OR what are some problems i might not see now or later? If i need to invest more money repairing the car later due to problems what will be the most expensive?

Is there a possibility the car maybe in "like new" condition or because it is a salvage its never the same?

·
Banned
133 Posts
Salvage = plenty of (potential) headaches down the road...resist the "Si" and "14K". Not worth the headaches you might have.

·
Banned
133 Posts
mischief316 said:
Yup that's wat i was thinking plus they offer extended warranty and all that good stuff even if its salvage. Question tho, what is the worse problems this car might give me in the future? OR what are some problems i might not see now or later? If i need to invest more money repairing the car later due to problems what will be the most expensive?

Is there a possibility the car maybe in "like new" condition or because it is a salvage its never the same?
They offer an extended warranty...AT COST TO YOU. Be clear about who's paying for that because it ain't the dealer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i guess i might take it to the honda dealer and i sure hope they know what they are talking about if they suggest i buy and say everything checks out. I mean what if at the end the car was in great condition. Maybe the car wasn't badly damage to the extend that its not repairable to like new condition. Maybe the insurance didkn't wanna deal with it. Either way there are so many things to consider. I'm not to worry if the car has a salvage title if its in good condition. Because i plan to keep the car. What i'm more worried is having engine or transmission problems or even electrical problems down the line. ANd i mean major problems. If its small things that can be repaired at no big price than that no problem you know.

Anyway the guy seems to be a great mechanic himself and do a fantastic job on body work. The majority of the cars he has are salvage. He said he doens't get a car if he doesn't think he would keep it himself.

For this car he said all parts were bought from the honda dealer and all should be original. The only air bag he had to replace was the steering wheel airbag. He labeled all parts and has receipts for them and the VIN for everything. He also took the time (long time) to talk to me about the car and explain what had happen.

I mean the guy seems legit. He could of lied right way and go around things and all. ANd cut me off and say you know, take it or leave it. He also wouldn't have taken the offer of taking the car to a honda dealer and having it inspected.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
That could be a good deal if you can talk them down on the price. Maybe you can get it for about 8-10K. If so then if worse comes to worse, ie new engine or tranny, then you could still be alright. The thing you really want to look at is how it rides structurally and if the frame components have been damaged.

And dont read into what a salesman is telling you. You are just playing his game when you think he's starting to make sense. Check it out for yourself and hardball him. A salvaged 1-2 year old vehicle is hard to sell.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Remember you will have to sell the car as salvaged down the road. I doubt that even a salvaged 06 si would be worth 14 if you tried to sell it yourself.

my .02

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
when the dealer checks your car and the suspansion, alignment and all come out within honda specs then that means the si had no real frame damage or it was fixed the right way...
i beleive that the only way you'd have electrical problems is if the car had water/flood damage...
and when it comes to mechanica problems, then just trust dealer and see what they say

1 - 20 of 38 Posts