8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2010 Civic LX Coupe, but am rather unhappy with the sound. I don't want drop a ton of money on anything spectacular, but I do want better sound. I'm used the 4 Infinity Reference speakers I had attached to an Alpine head unit in my old '94 Civic EX, and I'd like to achieve a quality equal to that. I don't want subs or anything.

Now I'm fairly inexperienced with car audio. I wired the front speakers into my old civic, but that's the extent of it. I've wired motorcycle turn signals and joysticks in a MAME (arcade cabinet) before, so I have a little bit of basic wiring skills, but not much.

The LX only has a 160W head unit, so what does that mean in terms of buying 4 new Infinity reference speakers? Will the wattage support that? I'm actually not even sure what size speakers I'd need to buy. I'd rather not replace the head unit, as I'd like my car to maintain a professional look and not appear to be "pimped out." Does that mean I'll need an amp?

I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible, but I'm not sure where to start. Aside from knowing which speakers I want, I don't know what else to buy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
you can again use the Infinity Reference if you liked them, 6.5 components up front, 6.5 co-axials in back, as for using the stock HU you can do that, itll feed good power to speakers so efficient, but thats not to say an amp wouldnt help, if youre up to it, go right on ahead and run one, as for running off the stock unit youll need a passive of some sort for the tweeter up front as your stock tweeters are passively crossed at the speaker, so either jerry rig the passive box they come with into the tweeter wiring or buy some bass blockers and put them in-line with the tweeter "+" leads

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, that's surprising. The service guy at the Honda dealer told me I'd need an amp. So if I JUST want to put int he infinity reference speakers, I told need to do anything special aside from install them?

Also, the speakers in the back looked smaller than 6.5 to me. Are you sure those will fit?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
thing is, the cutouts are for 6.5s, same as the front, I had to modify the cut out a bit to get them in but they got in there, I also had to trim some of the torsion spring to get them in, and Ive got shallow mount Bostons running Neodymium magnets, so those are the things youll want to look out for, but no all you NEED to do is install them and all that and itll work fine, an amp is optional, recomended, but optional all the same

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think the speaker upgrade without a new amp is worthwhile, or do you think any difference will be negligible?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
In my opinion If you are going to buy new speakers I would for sure externally amp them.

You can buy a million dollar set of speakers but if you only throw the whole 10watts rms from your deck at them you are wasting your time and money. They will get just as loud as the last set before they blow up from a distorted signal. They will come alive even with 50rms a channel as you really only need to amp your front speakers so for $100 you can find a decent 2 channel amp.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
true, but if budgetary constraints prohibit as such then speakers so efficient and rated so low will do fine under HU power
That does make sense but if you are chaning the speakes because you don't like the sound it is well worth the extra $100-$150 to grab a cheap, but decent, 2 channel amp and toss some power to the fronts.

I amped my speakers to my HU because I had sold my amp because I was selling the car and my speakers sounded horrible to what they once were. I wished I had held on to the amp a bit longer as I had to sit in my car for another 2 months and the difference was night and day and that was only a 60rms per channel amp.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
right but in your case you went opposite, you tasted power and got it taken away. . . quite different than not knowing power and then suddenly having it ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts