8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am from germany and want to retrofit my headlights on my own.

So please help me in what I need to do this.

And hardly, where I get it from (eBay....)

I think I need:

1 pair of projector lenses ---> is this one good: KLICK
1 pair of tsx, mdx or ... shrouds ---> is this one good: KLICK
1 HID Kit
and stuff to work with it like tools and some stuff of glass fiber?

Please help me...

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
just search the forum on "projectors" and "retrofit" and the likes and read what people have posted to get a good idea of the process and what its going to take. From the research I have been doing about it (gonna try it myself as well) this is not a task for the uninformed. Really get to know what it takes to do a retrofit because it doesn't look easy.

Also check out HIDPlanet forums for good info about retrofits and what it takes.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Hmm, I don't see why this should be locked... I know when I did my first retro, I really could have used some advice on whether the parts I was considering were good ones.

But yeah, MDX projectors are decent, definitely not the best, but for $80, they'll definitely do the job. Just be aware of the fact that they're "open" projectors (large gap between the bowl and lens)... this isn't a problem, just something to pay attention to since you can't get anything in the gap (obviously).
As for the shrouds, they're fine... someone else on here has used them, with good results. Obviously, just make sure the diameter of the shroud and the diameter of the lens are the same.

·
Registered
639 Posts
yeh spend some time in the retro threads, and itll answer 90% of your questions, ive spent one month researching and have slowly being putting parts together.

If you want to save money and still do everything your way and correctly, spend the time researching and slowly buying part by part and waiting for good prices.

ill give you a headstart. for the price and availability, crossfire shrouds are a pretty solid choice. i was days away from getting them before I ran into my mdx shrouds, other popular ones are s2000, bmw e46 i think (gross imo), audi

most popular projectors are tsx and s2000, tsx are much cheaper and still great quality, if you are worried about money stick with tsx

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Hmm... I think you're on the right track from the start. Ebay has TONS of retro stuff.

*EDIT* oh yeah, and hidplanet :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
There really isn't one way to retro a headlight. From what i seen, different people have different methods. I believe JnC over at hidplanet has a pretty good way of doing it. Its in the Hid university section. And one of our own member STATE L O S S I believe, is posting a diy kind of thread over in the inside and out section. Check them out and maybe it'll help you decide which route to take.

As for parts, customlightz has a good selection. Talk to Bjorn he probably can hook you up. As for ebay, theres like retrofit source and .... I forgot the other vendors. Anyways good luck.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
I have a massive DIY in the works, although it's not quite done yet. Should end up around 45 pages or so :eek:mg:

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
whats ibtl ?

hey german brother, id recommend getting projectors from an acura tsx. they are small and are closed , this makes life alot easier. as for shrouds, w/e fits your lens will do, its no biggie. look on ebay for > crossfire shrouds < . these are real nice. youll need either a drill with rounds bits or a dremel/rotary. both work fine.

goodluck on your adventure and nevermind most of rude posts of search this and that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.