8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Go to honda and buy the crush washers there. I think they are 10 cents.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What Crush washer to use with the oil drain bolt?

Copper, alluminum, or vinyl

pros and cons
I bought a pack of 5 or so vinyl ones. I change them with every oil change, and I haven't experienced any leakage yet. They are packaged as oil drain plug washers, so I picked them up, and they work fine.

You'll have to find a size that work with your drain plug, going off of pure memory (please let me know if I'm wrong), but I think the oil drain bolt size is an M14-1.5 (only the m14 part is important when buying a washer).

From the factory, they come with copper, so how much oxidation and damage could really occur with using a copper crush washer? Depending on your climate, I doubt a whole lot of oxidation could really occur. The most important thing is that you change the washer with every oil change.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
I bought a pack of 5 or so vinyl ones. I change them with every oil change, and I haven't experienced any leakage yet. They are packaged as oil drain plug washers, so I picked them up, and they work fine.

You'll have to find a size that work with your drain plug, going off of pure memory (please let me know if I'm wrong), but I think the oil drain bolt size is an M14-1.5 (only the m14 part is important when buying a washer).

From the factory, they come with copper, so how much oxidation and damage could really occur with using a copper crush washer? Depending on your climate, I doubt a whole lot of oxidation could really occur. The most important thing is that you change the washer with every oil change.
Not on the SI's....... Mine are not copper

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

incorrect, OEM Honda are aluminum in construction.

Use aluminum. I've read that if copper is used, oxidation can occur because of the two different metals.
correct.

I bought a 100-pack for $10 on ebay.
vehicle lifetime supply of crush washers?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have like 20 of them, but I've been using the same one from the factory for like 4 oil changes now. No leaks. They aren't really a crush washer either, at least not like the ones that I HAD to replace every time on my Suby.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts