8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something under 17k and dont matter what brands and make. Prefered European or Jap lol. something with 4 seats cus i have a baby. No Evo or Sti lol.
So far i got
- E46 M3
- Regular Fa5
Give me some idea:wavey:

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Why are you selling your mugen to get an Si? I would sell MY FA5 and buy a Mugen if there was one with 0-100 miles

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
e46 m3 and FA5 are going to be pretty different in terms of maintenance costs. The reason why older BMW's are cheap is because they're out of warranty.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
an Si.

edit: lol I was jk...but I see you actually have it as an option. Why would you sell the Mugen and get an Si?
cus im gonna sell my Mugen for 25k and want to get a bike too w/ a diff car so a 17k car w/ 8k bike =)

Why are you selling your mugen to get an Si? I would sell MY FA5 and buy a Mugen if there was one with 0-100 miles
cus an Si is cheaper plus i wanted a bike too.
another member trying to get rid of their worse buy ever. lol
tell me about it. But it was nice to be the first and i enjoy all the attention ive got around my city.

dude get the m3 it looks sick drives nice and is available with 4 doors for your kiddo.
E46 doesnt come w/ 4 dors but i only need 4 seats so. And yup i used to drive my friend's and loving it!
e46 m3 and FA5 are going to be pretty different in terms of maintenance costs. The reason why older BMW's are cheap is because they're out of warranty.
That is my most worried too. I have no idea about the M3 engine. But i'll learn and plus for that price to power ratio, hard to resist. Plus its an M3 lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
Have fun paying for maintenance

Brakes, tires, timing belt... etc.

All much more money for parts, and generally labour is a lot more.

1 because BMW would charge more, 2 because more hours to do a seemingly simple job

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
if you dont mind me asking, why was the mugen the worst buy? was it because its not better than a regular Si yet it costs thousands more?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

1 because BMW would charge more, 2 because more hours to do a seemingly simple job
ya its like 150$ an hour here lol. At Acura its 98$ an hour and i find its insane!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

if you dont mind me asking, why was the mugen the worst buy? was it because its not better than a regular Si yet it costs thousands more?
Thanks guy for the good info and waking me up.
The mugen was a great car but i had enough i guess. true fact is that i see theres alot of 30k car out there that are more fun and faster like 370z. but the fact that i hate on 370z thats why i want an E46 M3 cus its faster and more well known but i know that now for maintenance is alot. Plus i really want a bike and thinking get a cheaper car then i could get a bike. And the payments on my Mugen is a b1tch! thats one big reason too..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's not that the engine or trans in the M3 is fragile, it's that ordinary parts/labor for these cars is about 4x what you would pay for a Honda or something similar. Welcome to the world of $4500 clutch replacements, and $650 alternators. No thank you.

So... I would say no. 17k though and a fun 4 door...

FA5 is good, you know what your getting already...

2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V - has corvette running gear so not terribly expensive to repair, and is quite quick. Looking on Autotrader for 5 minutes I found several for under 20k, and a few under 17k, so look in your area for hopefully similar pricing. As with any car such as this, tires are a lot more expensive than what you're used too : )

4x4 extended cab pickup - different kind of fun, but you could rock an 2003-2006 4x4 Tacoma V6 in that range, almost bought one instead of the Si. 4 wheeling is fun, and a truck is useful. AND you know that under 100k for these trucks, your still pretty much fine.

Acura TL - great car, if you can get one in a manual REALLY great car, and you should be able to haggle to 17k with under 50k miles for a 2006 and prior.

Lexus IS350 - over your price range, but great car. Rear wheel drive too. Like a BMW, but reliable, and inexpensive to fix (relatively of course). I found a few for close to $21,000, so haggle room to $18,000, especially if you have check/pre-approval in hand.

That's my list. I would personally lean more towards the TL or the IS350, from a reliability standpoint, but the CTS-V, if you can get a good one at that price point, would be sick.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Why do people always bandy about the highest numbers they can think of whenever anyone brings up something other than a sporty commuter car? There are so many independent shops out there for the European marques that do quality work at decent prices.

Go to your regional BMWCCA site to get info on recommended independent garages, call them up and see what prices they quote for regular service (and a big item or two), it can help greatly in seeing whether living with the car is within your budget.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get a e36 M3 instead, it's fast, fun, and easier and cheaper to maintain. You can find one with really low miles for About 12-14k. And it comes in a four door for the kiddies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts