8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my oil changed today and the mechanic said that my battery voltage was running low and I should replace the battery. It was ready 12.8 volts. Does anyone know if this is normal? I am not having any problems so I told him to hold off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine shows on the Accessport at 13.7 at idle.....12.3 at idle when my 12w6 hits hard as it can (650 watts)....lights off 14.3 revving over 4-5k hope it helps. But 12.8v with the car off...that is perfect...once the batt gets old the voltage will drop faster and eventually won't have enuff to crank the car. Once u notice that the car is "slow to start" or seems ot be having a bit harder time than normal starting, replace it. U can always take the car to Autozone or something and have them pull and test the battery for free...keep in mind it takes a while.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine shows on the Accessport at 13.7 at idle.....12.3 at idle when my 12w6 hits hard as it can (650 watts)....lights off 14.3 revving over 4-5k hope it helps. But 12.8v with the car off...that is perfect...once the batt gets old the voltage will drop faster and eventually won't have enuff to crank the car. Once u notice that the car is "slow to start" or seems ot be having a bit harder time than normal starting, replace it. U can always take the car to Autozone or something and have them pull and test the battery for free...keep in mind it takes a while.
I figured he was just trying to get some more money out of me, ha, nice try! speaking of JL Audio, I miss my 12W7.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I didn't wanna make a new one.

I went to the dealer for an oil change on my Si and they ran a battery test and say that they "highly" recommend a new one. The test was run with the car off and came back with 13.19 volts and 234 CCA's.

The battery is KINETIK KR5112R which is the racing version of the KHC1400R with the same specs and it is less than a year old.

Are they just trying to make a sale, or should I proceed with making a warranty claim with Kinetik?

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
if your battery is at 12.8 volts while idling that is a piece of ****.

It should be 13.7-14.1 volts and no lower.

was it measured while on the car?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I didn't wanna make a new one.

I went to the dealer for an oil change on my Si and they ran a battery test and say that they "highly" recommend a new one. The test was run with the car off and came back with 13.19 volts and 234 CCA's.

The battery is KINETIK KR5112R which is the racing version of the KHC1400R with the same specs and it is less than a year old.

Are they just trying to make a sale, or should I proceed with making a warranty claim with Kinetik?
when it gets cold it may not do the job but it should be fine for now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It was measured on the car w/out removing any connections, with the car off.

After talking to a rep at Kinetik, he said that it read low because it was tested with a pulse load tester as opposed to the carbon pile tester Kinetik batteries are supposed to be tested with.

I'm gonna try to find a shop to do a retest with the right equipment and see what the deal is.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts, and honda uses what they call a dual mode charging system, the pcm uses input from an electronic load sensor along with other sensors to determine charge rates, during high electronic or mechanical loads the pcm will comnand high output mode which is 14.4 to 14.9 volts, which is standard for a normally operating charging systems, during start up and low load conditions however it goes into a low output mode ranging from 12.4 to 12.9 volts which honda does to maintain the battery around 12.6, it dosent mean its not charging, their logic is that there is no need to keep the voltage higher than what the vehicle needs and after the battery is charged most of the current is drawn from the alternator therefore they can increase efficiency by charging only when needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts