8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
interested to hear what others are doing to drop weight beyond the obvious of removing the spare.. im actually going to bre removing the black tar like stuff "sound deadening" material in a few days and looking for other things to slim up on.. whats ur ideas?

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
its your car and you do what you want and i know alot about weight reduction, i had a b16 crx that weighed about 1800 lbs. but with a new car i would suggest not getting too serious with it. you would see better results from a bolt on

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would like to remove weight "un-noticeably" thats why i chose sound deadening removal first.. ideas welcome.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
I told myself that when I go to the strip I wont do anything to reduce weight not even remove the spare. Im not even gonna reduce the tire psi, I just leave them at 30.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
K20z3 Civic Si [PHONG] said:
I told myself that when I go to the strip I wont do anything to reduce weight not even remove the spare. Im not even gonna reduce the tire psi, I just leave them at 30.
He doesnt care what YOU do he wants to know what HE can do.
Carbon fiber hood and trunk and if you have an SI dont bother putting that wing back. Cops arent going to hassle you as much because you dont have a third brake light as long as your other two gets brighter when you brake. I doubt they drive around looking to see who doesnt have one

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
you could get seats....thats what i think im ganna be doing..either carbon or fiberglass seats ive found some that only weight 12lbs and guess what the stockers weight about 50...thats give or take a good 75lbs or a so

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
100lbs on a car that weighs as much as an Si will save you .1, maybe .2 in the 1/4. Is that worth turning your car into a tin can over?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RWatters said:
100lbs on a car that weighs as much as an Si will save you .1, maybe .2 in the 1/4. Is that worth turning your car into a tin can over?

yep. im all about go. not show. if i can get rims - 1 - lb lighter i will. i will even go as far as magnesium lugnuts to save a lb. after all is said and done im looking to drop a total of 400lbs. it looks not too hard to do... great idea on the seats! are they really only 12 lbs? how much will the hood save. i heard it wont really save anything... do they make CF trunks yet? what about Lexan windows?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don't know what you weigh but one of the best ways to reduce car weight is to reduce driver weight... Don't start ripping out crap on your new Si, what are you going to do when you want to sell this car??? No one will want a stripped down car. Enjoy your car man, none of us are actual race car drivers, ya know?

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Carbon fibre products, keep it at a 1/4 tank of gas, run lighter rims, remove the spare, etc. But in all honesty, I see weight reduction as an extreme case. Seeing seats ripped out of a 2006+ daily driven car makes me wonder, why? Especially if it were a sedan.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you want crazy then get lighter seats, no spare or jack, carbon hood and trunk,smaller battery, lighter rims of the same size, less tire pressure,race wheel and hub, remove ALL Air bags and seat belts,put in a race harness, remove carpet, plastic panaling, center dash,air conditioner, heater, air pump, glove box,radio and all speakers, titanium catback, lighter flywhleel, pully's, call weight watchers, go anorexic, remove fogs, lip kit, top carpet roof liner, carbon door panels, all sound deadning,stock airbox,cloths, and that otta do it for ideas.

·
Registered
636 Posts
healtoc said:
If you want crazy then get lighter seats, no spare or jack, carbon hood and trunk,smaller battery, lighter rims of the same size, less tire pressure,race wheel and hub, remove ALL Air bags and seat belts,put in a race harness, remove carpet, plastic panaling, center dash,air conditioner, heater, air pump, glove box,radio and all speakers, titanium catback, lighter flywhleel, pully's, call weight watchers, go anorexic, remove fogs, lip kit, top carpet roof liner, carbon door panels, all sound deadning,stock airbox,cloths, and that otta do it for ideas.
took the words out of my mouth. Its pointlessto do anything to your car that you wont in some way notice, dropping 100 lbs is hardly noticable think about when you have a passanger. It takes at least a third passanger fo me to notice a diffrence ( but the average weight of my passangers is around 120 lbs). So what I am saying is that if you are gonna do this thing do it all the way, complete this ^^^^ guys's list. I am sure you'd notice 500 lbs.

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
The only thing I could add to the big list is removing your sunroof. those suckers are heavy. On a side note I had to drive my race ready accord for a few months every day and it sucked. No a/c in the summer no radio ever and the most road noise and rattles you will ever here. But it is your car so good luck.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
The biggest return would be to reduce unsprung weight. Even slight decreases in this area offer benefits across the board. Here is a link to one item that will save you about two pounds. :laughing:

Another thing that was not mentioned is removal of weight in areas that are not between the front and rear axel. Reduction in this area (or even moving an item so that it is located between the front and rear axel) will have a postive effect on handling.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Damn...wished i would have come up with the sunroof. Remove power mirors, spoiler, defroster, dome lights in both front and middle,remove cluster and replace with light weight race type one,no shift boot, light windows, take a dump, remove headlights and hollow out,remove license plate and side stickers,and cut out the floor board so that when your computer says "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" you wont have to worry about bolts poping up at you...and you save weight...hehehe..

1 - 20 of 617 Posts